Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Big Toe Seems to Be Effected - Spine Related?

• Howdy Beth,

If you look at a dermatome map, the big toes are half and half between the L5 and the L4 nerve. I know for me, if I am in a pool with too cool of water, my 3 middle toes start cramping and curling pretty bad. I was told for me that the nerves are getting irritated,(L5) and causing spasms that translate into my cramping toes.

From looking at your history, it could be a nerve issue. Have you played around with ice or heat to see if the toe settles down? Most doctors don't mind phone calls with concerns. Like you said, it might not be related, but he/she will of course know best. Since most don't charge for a call, why not give it a shot? Please let us know what you find out.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi there just logged on after having diskectomy,read this and had to answer,had exactly this problem Christmas was told the nerve damage that everyone knew I had,had started to progress further and I needed to had the op (I was supposed to have the op 4 years ago but turned it down).
    The cramps I got when the big toe was raised at night was terrible,the whole lenght of my leg,and your right by trying to keep it pressed down it helps it stop, and my toes often would wrap themselves around each other ,and exactly the same as the other post you have I cant go swimming either as my feet lock glad to hear I aint the only one,thought I was going mad.My diskectomy was at L5 same :)I had BACLAFAN tablets prescribed to me and they did help .

It was this turning point for me that made me decide to have my diskectomy,but because I left it too long alot of my symptoms have returned,that and I know Ive done to much to soon,my op was to stop my symptoms progressing after this toe thing started they said it had something to do with the nerves in the muscles starting to go.
    Sorry for your pain I really feel for you,but so far I havent had the cramps at night return since the op but my big toe does still feel raised and awkward,whether it will come back remains to be seen but I now know what they where talkin about with permanent nerve damage,but they did warn me about leaving surgery for so long.so in short I think its definatly nerve damage sorry to carry on :)
  • Howdy Jube,

I know for me my toes and subsequent toe/foot cramping started at the end of my swimming (pool temps cool for the fall) season. I would be in the pool for a half hour of so, and as I walked back and forth in the pool, both feet started this cramping.

I mentioned it to my NS, and he is the one that told me that the lower temps is probably causing the nerves to freak out, and as such causing the muscles to spasm, and too translates to the toes. I have similar (not temperature related that I can see) in my right hand. All is good for a few days, then something as little as handing my hubby a pen or piece of paper and my fingers and thumb start cramping big time. I find if I leave my right hand in a loose fist, the cramping is less.

Beth, give your doctor a call. Hopefully he can rule "in or out" further nerve issues or temperature sensitivities causing it.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• I have also experienced this popping up of my big toe!
    It seems to be when I have cramp in the top of my foot, or sometimes in the arch/instep of my foot. I have also had the toe bending tightly downwards. My other toes are also affected sometimes. I have even had my big toe pulling up while my other toes pull down!

After a session with my physio one day, as I got off the couch my right foot got cramp and my big toe pulled up. He referred me for an MRI of my lumbar spine!
    I do think it is spine/nerve related.

It is so strong that I struggle to pull it back into place. I generally find that if I stand on my foot, that really seems to improve it and it generally settles back down again.

One night, I got cramp in both feet at the same time, with toes on both feet pulled into strange positions. :''(

Please do let us know if you find out what is causing it.
  • Ok, well now that I know I am not nuts I will check into this rather new development.

Pools - I LOVE to swim!! BUT hardly any pools indoor or out keep the water warm enough for me. My back has major major spasms in cold water!!! :(

Not sure if the feet/toes will as I have not been in a pool since the started.

Thank you all for responding and sharing this info :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.