Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery # 3 in just one year

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi to all my very good friends I have made here. I hope and pray all of you are doing well and I keep you all in my prayers.

I just got out the hospital a couple of days ago after 4 days in last Saturday. I pulled another I've fallen and I can't get up routine :). At any rate it was miserable, they were giving me IV dilaudid (misspelled) along with my normal 50 mgs oxycodone a day and it made me a mental case. Miserable!!!!!

At any rate my nuerosurgeon is meeting with my wife and I this coming Friday as he wanted to discuss what options he has to alieviate thes lower back, hip, legs and feet pain, or maybe just reduce it. He had me get an MRI about a week prior to me ending up in the hospital so when he wants a sit down to go over new options it means surgery. The ER doc already told me as he looked at that MRI that there are two badly pinched nereves on the left side going to hte hip and leg. Anyhow just wanted to share.

Not afraid this time, not even worried, just tired I think. I am working hard to lose weight ( as hard as one can with limited mobility) and I've lost 13 lbs in the last 6 weeks or so on weight watchers.com.

I hope I hear from some of you guys soon. Take care and God Bless.

• Howdy Al,

Sorry to hear more surgery is on the table. I'm in that boat myself, and I know you say you're not afraid or even worried, but it is still a drag either way!

Please let us know what the surgeon has to say. I'm glad to see you bring your wife for such important appointments as I do the same with my hubby. I personally feel doing that helps our better halves understand us and our situations better. Keep us posted my friend!! Big spiney *HUGZ* to ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Congratulations on losing 13 lbs in 6 weeks !! That sounds like a nice steady weight loss. You wouldn't want to lose at a quicker rate because it could affect your health and you want the best surgical result.

Sorry you had to go back to hospital with the drugs making you a bit mental.

Hope your surgeon can come up with a plan which will take the pressure off those pinches nerves and eventually reduce your pain.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• and your wife :-)

More surgery is not what any of us want to hear, but if it can get the pressure off the nerves and restore you to being able to live without so much pain, it will be well worth it.

Well done for losing 13lbs! That will help with all the spine problems. I wish I could do that! I have lost about 20lbs, but they have started to come back on again - even with walking 2 miles a day. I will take inspiration from you, and try to get back to losing those pounds again. :D

Keep talking to us Al. We are here to support you through all this.

• Oh I will keep talking to all of you and thanking you for talking back. All of you have become friends who understand this process and I am really comforted by reading your words.

Thank you all
    AL S
  • Sorry to hear that you are looking at another surgery but I will say a prayer and be optimistic that it might really help! I just started weight watchers also - I have gained 15 pounds since my surgery 5 months ago and it is making me crazy!

I have been having problems with nerve pain too and I think that the disappointment makes me reach for the ice cream and cake alot more often than when I was feeling good! It is a circle - the more I gain, the worse I hurt but I sure love the comfort of chocolate:)