Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

We are all in pain

davidmddavidm Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I'm David. I'm glad I found this forum with people who can relate to life with pain.

2 Years ago I started having severe pain in my lowerback, hips, and left knee. I went to my Primary Doctor and told him and he is also an osteopath, he adjusted my hips and I felt much better. He also adjusted my neck, which helped the pain. I went to a chiropractor and told him everything he took x-rays of my lowerback, neck and my knee. It came back that I have hip dysplasia, arthritis in my neck and narrowing of my knee. After the first few months The pain became manageable, and I only went 1 time per month, ( sometimes I would skip a month ) for the next 2 years. After 2 years it stopped helping. The pain had become so bad that it would keep me up at night.

I went to a pain management doctor showed him the x-rays, he ordered MRI of my neck, and lower back. It came back that I have bulging discs in my neck ( C4,5,and 6 and bulging discs in my lower back L5, 6 and 7. I also have narrowing of my spinal canal. ( All This he told me was on Thursday 5/19.) He put me on Oxcodone 15mg. This has helped the pain somewhat but now the pain has gotten worse. I just started having this Friday, I have an appointment with him Tuesday. I don't know if you call it muscle spasms or what but I can feel a certain part of my neck hurting much more then any other and that causes severe pain and weakness in my left shoulder.
In the past before the pain was this bad I tried a TENS unit and it didn't do much, now I don't want to experiment as I don't want to aggravate anything more then it is and make it worse.

My dad has similar problems as me, and we both see the same pain management doctor. The doctor said that there's a good chance that what doesn't work on my dad won't work on me because we are related and these things are usually inherited. . He's right because in the past we have taken the same pills and it always had pretty much the same reaction to both of us. The doctor also said you can thank your dad for this you inherited it from him.

He wants to give me some injections in my neck, then in my back. It's a series of 3 shots, one shot every 2 week. He said it should help stop the inflammation. He said it's x-ray guided. I'm very nervous about having this done.

• He is likely wanting to give you a set of ESIs with fluroscopy. Many of us have had them to try to alleviate pain & symptoms. You can read more about them here; http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections
  • I've never had injections in my cervical area, but the lumbar injections to help with a bulging disc worked two years ago and I haven't had any disc problems since.

Yes, I had surgery, but it was for mechanical problems and stenosis, not disc-related.
  • Yep, steroid injections more than likely. I've had them at least 7 times in cervical, thoracic and lumbar regions. They never worked for me. The procedure is painful but you can grit your teeth and it's over fairly quickly. My pain management doc gave me some kind of medicine that would keep me conscious but I wouldn't remember what happened which was very helpful.Old doc just jammed the needles in and I would grit my teeth and fight urge to scream. Still, shots aren't as painful as the pain you are probably already in.It's worth a try and I hope they do work for you.Trust me, you'll feel like their little personal guinea pig by the time this is over LOL Only thing they haven't done to me is trigger point injections. They ran a test on me and found out that muscles around neck,between shoulder blades, are in constant spasm mode. Even when I'm not moving, they are!!! I've had the steroid injections, facet block and radio frequency ablation , where they burn your nerve interrupting pain signals to your brain. Amazingly that didn't work either. My pain management doc gave up on me friday and sent me back to NS. I sure hope they find something that will work on you. Good luck and keep us posted :-)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    and welcome to S.H. forums. I certainly think it's worth a try. Many Dr's use Versed and Fentanyl. Ask for it. You'll need a driver.
    May be a typo or a misunderstanding. There is no L-6, L-7. Lumbar starts at L-1, T-12 and goes down to L-5,S1.
    I think you'll like this site. You'll get a lot of info, and support here. No one understands a "spiney" like another "spiney'!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Robin, Cathy111, Eazysvixen, and Jim, Thanks for all of your support. Jim, I probably misunderstood him. When he told me what was wrong I was just in shock. I will ask him on Tuesday which ones it is. When he was talking about the procedure he said I would be under IV sedation. So far I really like this forum, everyone is nice, and gives their honest opinion. Thanks Everyone, for all your posts and support, I hope everyone's pain settles down. ;)

• You are lucky to be getting sedation. I have never been sedated for any of the injections I've had so far (ESIs, TPIs, and twice, bilateral C2 RF). My Dr., & the one I had before him both said that they needed me awake and alert for my procedures/treatments, but I hear many people speak of sedation.

I hope you get relief from yours.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H :) we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your upcoming procedure! you have come to a great place for information and to meet new friends as you can already see!!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)