Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nightmare during surgery...

fusemebabyffusemebaby Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi... I am three days post L4/L5 TLIF and I'm having the typical post-surg pain. Yesterday was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life, as most second days are from what I've read. Here's the thing that has me thinking... In recovery, my surgeon, whom I like very much and came highly recommended, visited me and told me that everything went well. However, the first question he asked me was "Did you have any nightmares during surgery?" I told him no. Later in the day I got to thinking about it. Did I wake during surgery? Was I conscious during surgery and the anesthesiologist didn't catch it? I have no memory of anything like that happening. But did it? Anyone else experience something like this?

• It's possible you were talking in your sleep, or showing other outward signs that may have lead your surgeon to feel that you may have been having a bad dream. If it's bothering you or you're curious, why not just ask him about it? I think I would.
  • It was while you were coming out of anesthesia?
    Many people have odd reactions, I for one always wake up crying. Others get aggressive or display other unusual emotions.

I agree with Robin, maybe you should ask the surgeon why he asked you that question.

Hope your recovery is going well.

• I agree with V. Perhaps it was while you were coming out of it. I remember crying hysterically as I was waking up from my first surgery. No idea why, but I was in full on tears! When I had my gallbladder out last year, apparently I kept trying to get up off the stretcher while in the recovery area. I have no idea why, but they were having a hard time keeping me from trying to climb out of bed! lol.

I hope that your pain gradually improves over the coming days/weeks. Hang in there!
  • i was not too worried on the last two operations but i am with this one.because i take a large amount of Oxycontin and diazepam and tamazapam .it take a lot to sedate me .and when i went for my discography i told the nurse on the ward and the anaesthetist and the consultant BEFORE they did the discography .and i told them that i would require more than normal to sedate me .i was ignored and i remembered everything and was in horrible pain after being told by my consultant that i would not remember anyhting and as soon as pain was felt he would give me more pain killers and sedation so i would not remember .,,well he did not !!! i was not happy i told the theatre staff what bastxxxs i thought they were. as it was a cruel thing to do to someone scared to death and in awful pain ..please note that my pain consultant of over ten years very nice person always gave me more than average to make sure that i remembered nothing and the procedure were nothing but a distant memory as i walked out of the hospital.she was a lovely woman but unfortunately she is no longer able to help me as she had done everything she can .so when i go for my ALIF sometime this year .i need to tell the consultant and the anaesthetist that i will require more than average to keep me asleep and out of pain and i will also need more post op to keep me as pain free as possible ..i am dreading it to be honest with you and i still feel that something will go wrong .i have felt that way ever sine i agreed to the operation ..but i feel that i have no option as i cant go on as i am .i just hope that i am wrong but i dont think i will be !!!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • The surgeon specifically asked me if I had one "during" the surgery. I'll ask him about it this week...I just didn't think about asking him on any of the other times I saw him in the hospital. I'm also finding it difficult to catch up with time...it still feels like last week to me. Surgery was last Thursday and my memory is spotty from then until yesterday.
  • It is not uncommon for people to wake up talking about dreams they have had or even become somewhat aggressive or crying, as V mentioned. Maybe your surgeon was still in the operating room while you were waking up. Most of the time they are gone from the OR during that time, and don't see how people wake up...and truly, anesthesia is not a surgeons expertise. It is more common for men to be agressive when waking up also.

If you have no recollections about waking up during surgery, then you probably did not. You have so much more to deal with now trying to get well than to worry about...what if's... I really hate it that this surgeon planted a seed of doubt in your mind when you have no memory of it. If you are still truly concerned that you woke up during surgery, call the expert...your anesthesiologist.

Anesthesia recall is rare, and usually associated with particular procedures, such as open heart surgery and general anesthetic C-sections. The reason for the possibilitiy of it happpening then is that you may have to limit the anesthetic if a person has severe heart problems and you would not want to give too much anesthesia while the baby is still in the womb. That is a judgement made on an inidividual basis. Other than these cases, giving a deep anesthetic is pretty easy.

Another thing to know is that you can not talk during a general anesthetic for back surgery since you have a breathing tube in for the procedure, so that is one less thing to be concerned about.