Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgical wound - how long to keep dressing on for

Linda BLLinda B Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi I am 10 days post-op from ACDF surgery c4/c5. So far i have kept the wound site covered - but when is it safe to remove the dressings? The wound is dry and no sign of infection and join appears fine.
Any advice would be appreciated, as I forgot to ask the nurses before I left the ward

• I am 3 weeks post ACDF C3 - C7. My surgeon used the steri-strips - they look sort of like bandaides across the incision. I was told to leave them alone and they would get loose and then I could take them off. They said it would probably start loosening up after 2 weeks. Some of mine came off the end of week 2, and the last of it came off yesterday - at 3 weeks.

Good luck!

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had steri-strips for both of my cervical fusions, and like KarenD, about the end of week two into week three they came off on their own.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • The steri-strips came off after a week; but i kept a cover over the healing incision in order to keep bio-oil on it and prevent collar chafing. I kept the bandage on until it was no longer overly sensitive. About a month honestly.

• I had durabond on my incision (Anterior cervical)and they took the bandage off the day I left the hospital and I was allowed to shower that day! I was instructed not to put any kind of lotion, oil, scar prevention, antibiotic creams, etc on the incision, just wash it thoroughly with antibacterial soap every day.

With my two SCS surgeries, I had the same durabond closure to the incisions, but had to keep them bandaged for a week and can shower (after a week), wash with antibacterial soap, but nothing else on those incisions while they heal.

• URL removed, solicitation not permitted

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

• URL removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz