Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So tired of waking up to this pain

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I never thought I'd long to wake up with a pain level of 4,5, even 6. But after 2mos. of this pain spike I would welcome a level of 4 rather than 6,7 day after day.
I get up and can take 1 or 2 methadone. But I always try to start out with 1 and sit at the table drinking coffee with my SCS on full blast. (which I can only tolerate for 2 hr.) But lately I take the second one 30 min. later. And still hurting. So after 3 hrs. of this I take my break through med. I don't like to do that, because now I'm loopy, and don't want to do anything. But at least the pain is knocked down to where I can handle it.
I know part of this pain increase is due to the depression. And my P.M. Dr. upped the Prozac from 10 to 20 mg. and the wellbutrin from 150 to 300 mg.
It's got to get better. :''(
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Jim, If you are allowed one or two and this current situation has been going on for a while maybe you should try two methadone instead of waiting.
    When ever I have had surgery or uncontrolled or partially controlled pain they have told me to take my medicines before letting the pain get to bad. It is harder for the medicine to knock the pain down if you let it get to bad before taking meds.

Are you on a schedule that places a dose in the night that you miss? For a while I had to use an alarm or my wife to wake me and give me the middle of the night dose. While I could keep on sleeping, the pain was way out of control when I did wake up.

Wish I had more to offer, I've been on hiatus from thinking about pain. It's about the same as it has been for over a year now, sometimes it costs me a day or two off work, but I get by.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    At times, even as short as they may be, we feel better, we feel alive and wanting and able to do all the things we can.

Then there are those times when everything seems to be crumbling down. The pain level goes up, the mindset starts to go downhill.

The Medical field will give us the medications to get through those rough times. But in reality, thats not what we want. We don't wore more medication, in fact we hope and desire to live day to day without having to take all of the medications.

Will we reach that day? I dont know, perhaps not.

So thats why it is up to folks like yourself and so many others to battle this and keep strong and above water.

Jim, I've seen so much strength in you, I've gotten to know how generous you are to others (ie. helping that boy with the bike) and how you help other members here.

That strength is what is going to keep you going.
    Take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Wrambler, yes, I can take the doses any way I want (not to exceed 5) But normally I can get through the night without taking anything.
    And Ron you hit the nail on the head, as usual.
    I decided not to crawl back deeper into my cave. I did some light weight gardening, my 30 flat (no hills) walk. Came back and fixed the trimmer and the mower. Trimmed and mowed the lawn.
    I may have been a little light headed, and maybe stumbled a few times. But I got some things accomplished. And I feel pretty good about that.
    .....It's all right ma....I'm only bleedin.....
    ***Bob Dylan***
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim wish you were feeling better.
    me and my lawn mower have a contest going i think.
    its probably one of my biggest to do or not to dos. its killed me several times. i just cant leave it alone. the kids could do it but but but i have to try it my be one of the only things that keeps me sane. all ways after though a in crease in pain meds
    Thank God for the extra pain meds!
    I can just see you fighting the kids for the lawn mower. Hitting them with a cane! =))
  • Hi Jim..

As I'm sure you know already that Methadone has a really long half-life...24-36 hours....so maybe it would be best to take one or two right before going to bed so that it will be working for you when you get up...Then upon waking...you can take the one or two in the am...then you have 1 more to take throughout the day if needed...along with any bt meds you need...

Just thinking of ways to change up the times you take this since you have leeway with the 5 per day...

I do understand it gets really tiring to wake up being in such pain...I've been at this 10 years myself...

The bad part is when I wake up after dreaming that I was pain free and living my regular life:(

I hope tomorrow is a better day!

• It really sucks! No answers to give you but I wanted to add my support and tell you that you are not alone in the night. I am up, and posting now- 3 am, I would guess. Bright side, I do get work done. And fortunately I work for myself so I can take a bit of a break in the day to make up for it.

Wendy
  • This is never easy when the pain does not get better even over time, while we wait for some change.

Take care and hope things improve.

John.
  • Wow, that's the shortest reply I've ever seen from John!! lol just teasing you John ;)

Jim, I completely agree with Ron, your are strong, and it is your strength that will pull you through this. I'm glad that you were able to accomplish some things, it really is a boost when you get things done, isn't it?

I'm also an advocate of taking meds on a schedule to regulate pain. Relief does come easier when being proactive rather than reactive for pain. But I do also understand not wanting to take them. For me, I'm prescribed 4 ER and 2 IR meds for breakthrough. I always take 3 ER with my other scheduled meds, and some days, that's all I take. My doc knows this, and has also told me that on the bad pain days and flares, I can double up on a dose if needed, which I have done some days as well.

I hope your flare and pain subsides so you can get some good rest, you need, and deserve it! Take care;
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • You dream of being pain free? I dream of being in pain and then wake up and I really am then it's time for a pain pill!!! Lol I don't know which is worse!!! Lol
  • Ok just had to tell you this...lol Well first my husband is too busy working and too tired when he is off so we have need to mow and pull weeds out side for awhile. Well two weeks ago I had one really good day and decided to do it!!! Well I mowed the front and back and pulled a ton of weeds and there were huge piles all around the house. Before I could completely finish my pain hit full force. I dropped everything on the spot and quit. It has been two weeks now and there are shovels, rakes and piles, spread out in the front of the house and back just dropped and have been untouched for two weeks!!! It looks ridiculous!!! I think we are a sad pair I am in too much pain to finish and hubby is too tired!!!! LOL Anyway if you could just picture it!!! Hang in there we are all there with you!!! This pain just sucks!!!!
  • I so hope your pain backs down again soon. I know when I go through my flares, life is NOT good. I will send you positive energy for strength, and to help push the pain back.

John, long time no see...was getting worried. I hope you are fairing well.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    I did switch the way I'm taking the methadone. And it dose make a difference. I now take one just befor I go to bed. And that lessens the pain I wake up to. But like many of you caught on too my goal was less not more. But it is what it is. I've just never had a pain flair last this long. Thanks for the good vibes and prayers from everyone.
    Splenda, yes I can picture your yard, =)) Been there done that! #:S
  • I feel your pain. Hang in there, and dont overdo...You know that only leads to more flares, right, I am just like you. But you are so strong and have been a positive for me in the past and hoping you are feeling better soon!
  • Sending you >:D< >:D< >:D< and hoping that the rotten pain flare is going down, at least a bit. I know you want to reduce your meds, but not possible at the moment.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Glad to see that switching up your dosing schedule has made a difference for you. Hope that your long ,latest flair will settle down for you.

You are in my thoughts.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.