Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost a Year after Fusion - Are these aches normal?

jcrowderjjcrowder Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
June 30, 2011 is the one year anniversary of my lumbar fusion w/ instrumentation (L5-S1).I'm very happy with the results as far as the sciata improvement. But something is happening and I’m a little concerned. The whole area where the surgery took place is sore. It looks perfectly healthy from the outside. This feels like it did early post op. My doc described it then, like this….”you’ll be sore, it will feel like some one wacked you in the back w/ a 2x4”. That’s how it feels now. It’s not a sharp pain. It’s just very achey and stiff . Is it normal to have periods when the aches will wax and wane? I guess I’m still healing too.

The graft sight a couple of inches over is also still very sore. Is that strange?

I hope you guys can give me some good advice. Our insurance changed so now I have a high deductible so any doctor visits, x-rays, testing, etc. is full price out of pocket!!!!

It would be great if anyone would please share any physical therapy exercises that were particularly beneficial …I could try that too in hopes that it would loosen me up.

Thank you everyone!

• Sounds like the same thing I am going through, so I hope you get some replies. I had my fusion in July of 2010. Had L 3/4 and L 4/5 operated on, plus have a cage & screws. I have daily pains in the part of the back they did surgery on and I too can't even touch the area now without feeling very sensitive and hurting. My surgeon has talked about removing the screws in August, but leaving the cage in. I think I understand a bit of what you feel. Hope you hear something soon. My prayers are with you.
  • Hi, I don't want to cause you alarm but in my case these sort of pains around my scar turned out to be an infection. I was in all sorts of pain last spring and summer and finally my scar started hurting and then a month or so later a blister appeared that then began to leak. I still don't think we have got to the bottom of it. I had some leg pain accompanying my scar pain. I had periods where I couldn't put my shoes on again and I ended up stuck crouched in front of the fridge one day!