Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post op

traumanursettraumanurse Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L4-5 S1 fusions, with 6 screws, 2 rods 4 brackets placed in after they removed my boans from my spinal process in that area. After the surgury was complete they replaced some of the spinal process bones with some of mine and cadaver bones.

I was doing great post op untill 3 weeks ago when i started pool therapy. I have regressed righ to the start. I was down to taking 2 lortabe 7.5/500 3 times a day. Now i am in a hospital bed with a PCA hooked up with Dilaudid. the RN can not get ahold of the Neuro surgeon who ordered it because it is not enough still. With PO dilaudid 4 mg every 4 hrs to. And all i am getting from the staff is the usual making me look and feel like a drug seeker. So now that i have not slept in 3 nights again. I have to deal with that bull shit.

The Neuro surgeon wants me to get an epidural today. I never had on, but my problem is now. why can they not see that. why is there so much resistance to treat the pain. If your blood gluces was 800 you would get insulin. SO WHY IS IT WHEN WE HAVE PAIN IS THERE A STIGMA ATTACHED TO IT?

Add to make matters worse I am a US Army soldier. you should see what i had to go through just to get to this point.

ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME,,,,,, Advise point me in the right direction. my rights as a patient what ever i need to do. this has go on long enought.

Sgt Steven Prieur RN

• My surgery was a little over 3 months ago and I too was doing great until I injured myself by opening a window that was jammed. This incident happened almost 4 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time I felt like the pain is starting to go away. Sometimes the symptoms of muscle strain can mimic the symptoms you had pre-surgery. I had x-rays done immediately to ensure that nothing moved around the fusion site. I really thought I had herniated another disc, but thank goodness the pain is so much better.

I am scheduled to receive a trigger point injection today and I suggest that you should listen to your surgeon and get intervention. I waited and suffered too long and wished I went to see my pain management doctor earlier. Good luck and know that your pain is most likely due to overdoing it. Hope you feel better soon! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Sorry you're going through this and not getting enough relief. I hope by now you're getting the epidural to help your pain. 4mg every 4 hours is a small amount at 1mg hr. though much stronger than morphine. I hope by now you've had an increase and the NS should contact the Anesthetist or when you see the Anesthetist for the epidural talk about what you're getting for pain relief and he'll be able to consult the Neurosurgeon. But hopefully the injection will do the job.

Thanks for serving your country. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN