Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Appt for second opinion is scheduled! Now what?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
So, I scheduled my appt for my second appt with a NS at UPenn. UPenn ranks 15th in the country for their NS dept. Plus, the NS I am seeing is the only one in the practice that specializes in the thoracic spine, which is where my problems are (that we know of). Here's the problem. My surgery was supposed to be June 8th, and the first available appt was June 7th. So, do I go ahead and postpone the appt for a week? I'm thinking yes, because that'll give me time to talk it over with my husband and weigh my options, assuming the NS at UPenn has a different approach for how to handle this.


  • If it were me...I would absolutely get a 2nd opinion before having any type of major surgery...

    And it does take a lot of preperation before a surgery to set everything up..

    My church provided meals every day for 3 weeks!

    Recovery arrangements with your spouse with special pillows and place to sleep, not going up/down stairs to access bathroom..

    Making sure you have a plan for pain medicine set up through Dr.s..

    Caring for you during the day if spouse has to go to work..

    Having lots of books on your computer to listen to as well as tv/dvds to watch..

    So many things to list...

    So yes..personally I would wait to figure out if this is absolutely necessary to do right now...it's a tough surgery and recovery..
  • The sooner you 'reschedule' your surgical date the better. There are lots of people, equipment, OR reservations etc., involved with surgery.

    We get 2nd, 3rd or more opinions to ...

    1. Confirm a diagnosis
    2. Confirm a modality for treatment
    3. Help us get a rounded decision for treatment, etc.

    For these other opinions to be of value, you can't rush (2nd opinion, next day surgery with opinion #1) to opinion 1 before we absorb all the other info from the 2nd or 3rd opinion. That would be a disservice to yourself. So, if you really are interested in digesting this other opinion (and it sounds like you are), I would get with your surgeon, explain the time-line with this other doctor. Most surgeons understand us getting additional opinions on our bodies - especially when it is a surgical consult. Just my thoughts on all of this. :?

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda...great points about canceling/rescheduling if needed asap so they can move someone else into that spot as there is so much prep for a hospital and the surgeon for a surgery...

    As well as wanted to add that any good and caring surgeon will absolutely WANT you to get another opinion..I would always be leery of one who says you don't need one (not saying this is yours..just in general)...
  • Another point about a 'heads up' to the surgeon. If he is given almost no notice, he could lose a day of patients, or another surgery... So it could hurt your doctors practice for a day. The earlier, the better. :)

    I have to echo your comments as well. I good well grounded surgeon will not be insulted if you say, "Hey doc, this is a big surgery. I'm a bit uncomfortable making a decision right now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna get another opinion." I know my surgeon suggests that right out of the box when surgery is on the table....

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm going to call first thing in the morning and postpone the surgery. I'll tell them I want to get a second opinion first, and we'll go from there.

  • Kim,

    Sounds like a good idea to me. Please let us know how it goes. I'm sure they will be understanding that you're wanting to get another opinion, and as such delay and reschedule.

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I think you made a great decision. Surgery is such an important decsion to make. You want to be sure that you are 100% decided to go that route. You seemed to have reservations since your appointment with surgeon #1. A second opinion will hopefully put your mind at ease with what you decide.

    Great that you are calling right away to reschedule and give you enough time to absorb your second opinion.

    Wishing you all the best with your next consult. Please keep us posted.

    >:D< Karen

    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.