Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 level ADR to 3 level Cervical Fusion

Terese64TTerese64 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Two weeks ago, I underwent surgery to remove two Prodiscs at C5-6 and C6-7. The surgeon then fused from C4-C7. He used bone from my hip to fill in where the keels were made from the Artificial discs and allograft bone for the disc space. Although I had horrible pain from right after my ADR Surgery, which was done in March of 2009, I'm am so regretful that I had the fusion. I know it's only been two weeks, but I have horrible pain and lost more motion. I'm so discouraged and wish I never had this surgery. Does anyone know if this surgery could be reversed back to the ADR's if I found a doctor who would do it ASAP? Is there anyone else who has had a three level cervical fusion? I feel so hopeless and helpless. :(

• It has been 2 WEEKS since you underwent major surgery!! Everything is gonna be ok. You have so much swelling and you need to heal. There is no way you can tell how beneficial the surgery is at this point.

Call your DR and get some different/more pain meds.

Seriously it is going to be ok :)

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Once you are fused no dr will reverse it to adr. I have adr in my l4l5 and they fused it in and just made me worse because of the nerve damage and just put more stress on it now . And i cant have them remove the bone used to fuse it. Good luck. Give it time you might be ok once you heal.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Neck pain has been spreading like an epidemic these days. These days that number of hours that we spend in front of the computer is more than on the bed. This makes it necessary that we sit erect and in the right position when we sit in front of the computer. Also there is a need to relax and take out some time from the busy schedule for exercises.
  • Even getting a revision on a present fusion isn't lightly taken on! My surgeon isn't one that commonly does revisions for failed fusions, or fusions with 'additional' issues within that fusion. So more likely than not, a different surgeon will take my mess apart and rebuild.

Like Alex said, to take the ADR's out, fuse you....wow, I can't see, ESPECIALLY this close to your present surgery, even trying to take fusion graphs out, and putting ADRS back in.

I guess the logical part of me gets this... if the ADR's didn't work, why on earth would you want fusions removed, and what didn't work back in? Sorry, doesn't make sense. But short of some really rare severe issue, I too don't see any surgeon doing anything this soon after your last surgery.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Why was the artificial disc removed? I would of thought its just as easy to leave it in even if they want to fuse it for whatever reason because then it just works as a spacer. I have not yet heard of any adr removed to fuse is why i am asking. Maybe its diferent in the neck. I am lumbar so i dont know much on the neck surgeries. But i dont see how the cervicle would be that much diferent.

My last dr who does revisions stated adr actualy works best for neck not lumbar because less weight for the adr to carry. Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • We have a few members whom have had ADR's removed in the cervical spine and then fused, as the ADR failed, or basically the bone around them failed. At this point and time I doubt your a candidate for ADR's, as not all patients are from the beginning. With that said I am a 4 level fusion and yes you will loose the ROM you had with the ADR's. But I am assuming there was issues with them to take them out? Doing that large of surgery, it is going to take time to heal from surgery. Was your surgery anterior or posterior or both? Keep in mind one of the biggest issues with cervical spine issues is muscle spasms, so be sure your taking a good muscle relaxer. If the pain gets to bad and doesn't begin to get better call your surgeon, that is what they are there for. Keep us posted on how you get along.
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I am now five weeks post-op and I took your advice. I called my neurosurgeon and he changed my pain meds and gave me a muscle relaxer, which seems to be helping, although the new medicine makes me sleepy. He also told me the pain I'm having is normal as I'm only five weeks post-op and given the fact that it was a revision, it may take longer.

I had my original two-level cervical ADR surgery in March 2009. (C5-6 and C6-7) I had nothing but pain from the moment I woke from that surgery. The reason I was advised to have them removed and converted to a fusion was that I had a MVA and my Neurosurgeon felt I needed to have my spine stabilized to enable healing to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. When I had my ADR surgery, the orthopedic doctor who did that surgery told me that ADR was the way to go because with a fusion the levels above and below usually go bad. Well, I had the ADR and C4-5 ended up going bad, so I had to have a fusion from C4-C7! So much for that theory.

The ADR at C5-6 was also moving and set back more than the one at C6-7. My surgeon took bone from my hip to fill the space where the keels were, and then used cadaver bone as spacers and put a titanium plate in. Right now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in the end, it'll all be worth the pain and suffering!
  • it took about 2 months or so to get comfortable from my c fusion. I hated the swallowing and the stiffness. It's been almost 5 months and I don't even think about it now. My neck is still a little stiff at times but no more the a crick in the neck. I hope all goes well with you. I had another operation on my lumber in May and the DR will let me rest until Sept then I need a C2-C7 laminectomy. The neck is so mobile I worry about that more than the other parts of the spine.
  • I had C4-C7 Cervical fusion in Sept. 2009 and am still having problems, but the problems are at C4-C2ish and C7-T1 or T2 area. I know that posture has an impact and I try to work on it especially at my desk, but I am in pain 99 days out of 100. Most of the time I can make it most of the day with just a nagging ache before it gets to about a 5 on a 10 scale. I have tried PT and certain things work, but cant really afford to continue at $225 a visit. I have a Tens Unit and that helps, but cant use that all day. My family doctor has me on Percocets and Valium and i take it after work but would like to find out what would make it better or at least managable without drugs. My surgeon was very impressed with the healing of the fusion and my problems seem to be above and below that now.