Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newly developed sciatica

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
I have been diagnosed with several t-spine herniations and am facing possible surgery. The worst of them are in the area of T8-9 and T9-10 and are compressing my spinal cord. For the past several weeks I've had numbness, tingling, and electrical shock sensations down both legs, in addition to my other symptoms. Since last night, I've had this burning pain down the back of my left leg and it's extremely uncomfortable. However, I thought sciatica originates from the lumbar spine? Is it possible this is related to the herniations in my t-spine, or does it sound like there may be issues with my lumbar spine as well? I've had an MRI and a CT myelogram, both of which were only of the t-spine. What do you think?
advertisement

Comments

• kim this is what bothers me the most,we as pain patients suffer everyday with pain,and i found you will get a different answer,which leaves us confused and frustrated.not many will be honest with us and i dont know why.we cant get medical answer from here,but it is nice to talk with people who go through the same thing as we do.i to have pain that goes all the way up to my neck down my right arm,and my doctor said it can effect the whole body,because our muscle are in overdrive to protect.have you seen a chrio yet?he was more helpfull to me than any other doctors i have seen.i am a candiate for surgey,bit before i do it i want to make sure i have done as much research as i can.my chrio was honest with me,and said i can only help so much,and surgey might be my best option.good luck and i hope someone responds to your question,all doctors are different and has there own.othoughts.even scientist dont understand the brain or spine fully,thank god for clinical trails.one ,more thing i dont know what meds you are taking,but i have found alot that make things worse than better,just mt personal experience.good luck
  • To my understanding Sciatica comes from L4 and below, but too your spinal cord is intact for most to L1 (mine ends at the bottom of L2) so you can have issues below your present levels given the right circumstances - again, I'm going on research I've bumped into, and my own questions.

My thoracic levels are T8/9/10 (not a surgical candidate presently - whew) for DDD and osteophytes. For now per MRI and electrical studies my radiculopathy into my legs and feet is from my L5 nerve root due to issues at my L5/S1. My T levels are so far keeping the Neuropathy around my lower rib cage and chest, but again, no direct cord issues for me there.

I'm sure your doctor won't have a heartburn if you call and ask him, if anything to confirm or ease your concerns.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.