Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone tried the elecric cigs yet

lazy14llazy14 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Stop Smoking
i need to quit smoking,not only for my health but surgeon wont do surgey till i quit smoking.i am under alot of stress,so quitting cold turkey will not work for me,i quit 3 times before when i was having my kids,i turned to food i guess.i wish i never started back again,i guess stress will do it for you.and ive read some of the post here,and it is mind over matter,i am finding it harder this time to quit cold turkey.a few people i know have quit with the electric cigs and found alot of good reviews about it.i ordered mine today,my doctor said some of his patients did quit using it it cant hurt to try it,he also gave me a script for the patch and gum he said i would need to use both of them together.my question is has any one here used the e-cigs?and did it help?and was wondering if the support group here is still going on if it is i would like to come on board for support.thanks lisa

• years ago I quit for 7 years , I had a kidney transplant and 1 year after that I started smoking again this was back in 1999 now I really need to quit and can't seem to get there, went cold turkey back then no problem , now geez I struggle to get through the 1st day and fail. Tried the quit line all they did was send some mint lozenges to suck and boy they sucked alright they didn't help at all.Any ways I seen this forum if it still really exists I will visit again and see if I can get some help here or some courage!
    edited 11/16/2012 - 3:35 AM
    Hi I am also in the battle of quiting , its the hardest thing I have ever done and when my pain is high I want to smoke! The ecigs still have nicotene in them , I think you can get them with a lower dose, im on the patches which are really helping me ..
  • Yep, they are working for me and I was a 2 pack per day smoker. I really still cannot believe that I am not smoking and could not have done it cold turkey.

Here is what helped me: I did allow myself 2-3 cigarettes per day for 1st 3 weeks.
    I started with the highest level of nicotine in the E-cigs and went from lights to ultra lights on the regs. That made me crave the ecig more than the regs.
    Buy 3 batteries right off the bat, if you want a smoke and your ecig is not charged, what are you gonna do? have a reg thats what, keep the charging rotation going at all times.
    Get a sampler pack of cartridges. Most people think they will want tobacco flavors, but those kinda suck. Coffee, vanilla, and peppermint are my faves.
    It is expensive at start up to go all out, but I was spending almost $10 per day on cigs, now with the ecig I spend about $3 per day. It evens out quickly!
    I have not had a cigarette in 7 weeks and counting! And I am moving down now from medium to low nicotine levels on the e-cigs!

Good Luck All!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • bedrikbedrik Posts: 6
    edited 11/28/2012 - 2:12 AM
    Yes one time I tried it but not get the actual fun.
  • I just bought one of the disposable e-cigs to give it a try. I was really surprised that i exhaled what looked like smoke (i know its not) but that was an interesting feel. It is the Blu brand with the classic tobacco. It doesn't taste too bad, more like a stale cigarette, but of course, I've only had a few puffs so far. Soon, I will be buying their "kit" They have some interesting flavors that i think i might like.
  • I use them,still trying to quit, cut down about 60% so far, whats good is that they are not unhealthy. Don't get them in a mall kiosk though or from that infomercial on tv.
    I get mine from Smokeless Image or Vapure on line or there may be a retail store near you.
  • Why is it that the nicotine patch is okay, but the Ecig with nicotine is not. I started smoking when I was fifteen, I am now 52. Two weeks ago I started using the Ecig and I can honestly say I like them better than the real thing. I have tried everything. I am afraid to try the no nicotine in fear I will not be satisfied. I had fusion surgery 7 days ago.
  • I'm surprised that the Nicotine patch is deemed acceptable, as far as I understood it its the Nicotine that is the problem with bone fusion, and I was told I had to quit before surgery. I was fortunate that I had already been considering quitting, so was able to go onto Nicotine patches for a few days and then just went cold turkey. It's been 3 months since I quit, and 2 1/2 weeks since my fusion.
  • shilu shresthashilu shrestha Posts: 9
    edited 07/03/2013 - 6:29 AM
    i hear about it but never use it.so i have no idea about it.
  • i hear about it but never use it.so i have no idea about it.
  • I have tried a couple of cheap disposable e-cigs. I wasn't impressed. They weren't satisfying. I imagine higher-end models might be better. Good luck.
  • I Quite cold turkey one week prior to surgery. It was very hard. I tried not doing things that were in my routine of smoking. I occupied my mind by painting, I figured if I concentrated on something else I wouldn't think about the nicotine cravings. I am almost 3 weeks post op and with the pain of recuperating, the last thing i want is to smoke. It hasn't been too bad. But I really want my fusion to work and will not detour from taking any chance that it won't due to having the nicotine in my system
    Herniated discs & DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1; ALIF L4-L5 & L5-S1 on 1/10/2014;
  • I smoked my last cigarette Jan 6, 2012, when I was taken to the hospital by ambulance with double pneumonia. I use an e-cig, and I know I will never go back to "the real thing". There are ranges of nicotine content, 0-22mg. I have chosen 18mg. Even if I never reduce the level, I know that I'm not getting the tars and poisons that I would be getting from a tobacco cigarette. I have also reduced the cost of "smoking" from $200 a month, to $50. And, I was able to "vape" in my hospital room when I had my last spinal fusion.
  • I had to quit smoking prior to cervical surgery. It was very difficult for me. I asked my surgeon and he said e cigs were ok. So I use them so I don't smoke any more. My surgery went well and I am fully fused. They are an alternative to smoking which is very bad for healing. Thank goodness for them. For me, they helped me to quit for good. I haven't smoked a cig in 3+ years!
  • epidural3eepidural3 Posts: 10
    edited 04/17/2014 - 10:14 AM
    Just have to put in my 2 cents.
    We all know how bad it is. We also know how hard it is to quit. I was told by a DR. it is harder than heroin to quit.

I will only admit to 20 plus years because I'm so embarrassed by this addiction. I was tired of admitting my addiction everytime it came up at the Dr.'s office. I was tired of making "special trips" to the store because I didn't stock up. I was tired of watching the price increase by leaps. I was extremely agitated by the fact the government was making money from my addiction, and I felt too weak to stop my habit. After constant bronchial infections and sinus congestions I decided the last smoke in the pack was MY LAST SMOKE.
    As I am sensitive to many medications, and listening to all those side effects of meds like Chantix, I jumped on the Ecig wagon and never looked back. The start up was about 50$ and I just added here and there. I started with 12% and ended with 6%.
    I don't "vape" everyday anymore. When I feel the stress building, I will take a few hits. Seems to do the trick for now. It takes care of the oral fixation for me. I no longer wake up with a full head of congestion [ what was I thinking?] and I can breath deeper now. The money I spent on smokes now goes for things I want, like new shoes [ without the guilt]
    If you are even thinking about quitting, don't discount Ecigs.
    I think what turned me off about patches was how sick you could get if you had a smoke. I bought the big box of gum but it tasted bad to me.
    However if any of these things help you to quit, go for it!
    I just had very good luck with e cigs.
    Oh, and I also have to say something is wrong when the powers that be want to regulate something that will help you kick the habit. It's just crazy.

I'm back to add before I sign off, I stuck with one brand because it was OK. My advice is if you want to persue ecigs,try multiple brands if the first doesn't suit you. The web has a lot of forums for advice.
    Good luck, and success!