I have a fusion at the L5/S1 level (2007) that was done after 2 recurrent disk herniations. I was fine until about 2 months ago when I started getting pain in my left foot and shin. So upon a image study it turns out I now have severe arthritic stenosis at the l3-l5 levels, obviously from having the fusion previous.
Despite the level of severity my pan is manageable with stretching and motrin 800s. Doc says I am a candidate for surgery now but he said wait till pain is at a level that it completely interferes with life and your ability to function. No where near that now (knock on wood). He told me it would likely be a 2 level fusion next and the domino effect. Possibly a laminectomy Depressing considering I am 36 years old.
But the interesting thing is he said he has seen people with worse stenosis than me with no symptoms or pain or little, like me. Makes me wonder, how long can I hold out? Anyone out there with similar situation or heard of one like it where someone goes on for a long time? I am sure it will get me eventually, but I really wonder how long I can go. Like I said, pain is quite manageable right now.