Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG report Abnormal

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
Just got my EMG report and was wondering if anyone has the same and what was your diagnosis. I had an appointment tomorrow but the surgeon rescheduled for next week. You can see my conditions below and my neurosurgeon ordered the report because she is recommending surgery. I already had an MRI.

Anyway the impression is as follows:

Abnormal study; There is electrophysiologic evidence of a L4-5 Radiculopathy bilaterally.

I have looked this up and it seems to be sciatica in both legs, is that correct??

• On my EMG from last week, concerning my L5/S1, mine says this:

"Moderate chronic L5 Radiculopathy, on the left and right."

The sciatica would fall into that region. In basic your EMG (like mine) is localizing which nerve issues are found. This test amongst the others and physical exam dictate future actions, so don't freak over the EMG. It's just another piece of our wonderful puzzles.

On the possible good side for your report, you didn't list if it said "mild, moderate or severe." Not stated normally indicates mild. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Chronic L 4/5 radiculopathy biateral left greater then right. And disruption at L5 - not sure what exactly that part means?
    Now with me I am disappointed that neurologist did not test above my knees, seeing I have issues higher up in lumbar region.

As Brenda said it just one piece of the puzzle. It looks like you already had MRI so the NS should have some options for you next week. Good luck.

And yes, at that level one would assume sciatica symptoms.

• Virginia,

My EMG from a year ago is where the moderate neuropathy was discovered off of my L2/3/4 herniations, yet like you, for some reason my Neurologist did not test above the knees. His own Rx to himself (he did the test) was "full extremities to be tested for radiculopathy and neuropathy status". Hummm... Yep, I will be bringing that up for sure!! :)

Maybe the disruption is something indicating that the L5 nerve is intermittently involved without a cause? Remember, below L1 or L2 the cord ends and the tail (multi nerves in the bundle) begins.

• Thanks for your responses. The doctor who did the EMG told me that I have a pinched nerve in my lower back. And since my disk protrusion is at L4 , my stenosis and Severe Degenerative Disk Disease I believe it's all coming together finally. My latest MRI also shows a progression of my DDD and narrowing, plus my right leg has been getting weaker and has been buckling on me the last year. Because of the DDD and the leg problems the neurosurgeon is recommending a fusion. I do have a second opinion coming from an Orthopedic Surgeon next week. My back pain is so severe I cannot walk or stand for more than 30 minutes without burning fire in my lower back, and then I start limping. Even though I would rather not have surgery I believe it is the only option I have left. I just can't take it anymore!!!
  • Rhonda,

You have me beat! I can't stand more than 5 minutes until my back burns and my thighs burn - bend over and lean at that point. Walking without a cane, 15 minutes on a good day. If I am leaning on something (say a shopping cart) and move slowly, I can stretch walking to about 30 minutes, but as soon as I stop, the pain goes through the roof. That's were I leave the hubby in the checkout line, and head to the SUV to recline and try to get my back and legs to settle down.

I've been limping off of my left leg for over a year now, but it's due to weakness in that leg (and the foot points straight instead of slightly outward) vs pain.

Please let us know what they tell ya.

• Carl OswaldCCarl Oswald Posts: 66
    edited 04/16/2014 - 9:59 PM
    It sounds to me like everyone is in the same boat.. Is anyone post lumbar surgery like me? I had an open Lumbar Laminectomy and Decompression 8 months ago for Stenosis and Arthritis... and was recovering nicely at 2, 3, and 4 months.. At about 5 months all my original symptoms of left leg weakness and right leg pain came back.. In the three months that followed, I have become nearly paralyzed in my left leg and can barely stand or walk, even with a walker.. As well, my right leg pain has added some peculiar sensations that have never been there before.. like a thousand wasp sting pain from ankle to gluteus coupled with severe deep ache in right quad... then it just suddenly goes away until the next time..I am a 63 year old in otherwise good health.. I have a fairly high pain threshold but this brings tears to my eyes.. and frustrates me to no end.. I see the NS in a month (glad it's not a snake bite) to find out a course of action that will get me back on a positive recovery track.. I wish the Neuros and NS had the same sense of urgency as I do.. Until then it's alot of Gabopentin and Tylenol Arthritis.