Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 days post-op ACDF - feeling great

Sonelson1SSonelson1 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After reading so many posts that have problems I feel lucky. I am 3 days post op for ACDF for c4-5 and c5-6 and I feel great. Surgery started at 7:40 am and I was awakened in recovery at 9:10 am. By 9:45 they were ready to send me toy room but they had no nurses to care for me until 11:00 am. Once they settled me in, I asked for cherry Popsicle and jello. Swallowing hurt like having a sore throat with an earache. But the ice water, Popsicle, and jello tasted and felt great. Nurse stated that I would get food at supper. But, lo and behold, here came lunch. Wasn't much could eat but the fruit(mixed), coffee, and coffee.

My next step was to get up. BR twice with nurse and then I took a walk with my hubby. The remainder of my time up was on my own. I bet I could have gone home. However, I needed to spend the night because of drain that needed to stay in until next morning plus 2 courses of 2 different antibiotics via IV that took 4 hours each and 12 hours apart.

I had almost no pain and even now very little. Occasionally, I have minor shoulder and arm pain.

My biggest problem is the lump in my throat and swallowing. My NS nurse CNP explained that the lump is the fusion plate positioned behind the esophagus and that with time my brain/body will accept that change. It just has to learn.

I know this was lengthy but wanted those that are apprehensive about surgery (I was) that there are people who have little trouble like me. My doctor only requires the soft collar when I am being active, in a car, out walking, or out in public. My other limitations are the 5 lb wait limit for six weeks and no strenuous physical activity including housework, bending, stretching overhead etc. This will be hard for me because I feel great but will follow for a good outcome.

• Congratulations on your success, and I hope it continues! Take care and follow those restrictions as ordered.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.

• That is great news! :D

Thanks so much for sharing your story to encourage others.

Keep up the good healing.

• I am at 2 weeks post, returned to work 1/2 days on Tuesday. Still having some muscle spasms and tinges of pain in my right shoulder, but otherwise great. I have just a slight feeling of a lump in my throat, but that improves daily. All of my previous numbness and tingling are gone. I am very happy that I had the surgery.
  • Good to hear....I am envious that you got to return to work so early!!! But then again I'm a pretty complicated case...lol...keep up the good work and keep us posted!!!!