Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice on taking meds together

KiMarsha49KKiMarsha49 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I have had 4 back surgeries and my entire lumbar spine is fused from L1-S1 and
I have a fracture and a bulging disk at T-12,sacroiliac disease, spondylolisthesis. so I take Oxycontin 20 mg twice per day/every 12 hrs. and .I take
Hydrocodone 10 mg one every 5-6 hrs. for breakthrough pain,. I set an alarm throughout the day in order to take these
medicines on time. I have now been prescribed Citalopram 20 mg and although I've heard it's a safer med to take with
most drugs, I was wondering if it was safe for me to take it with these pain meds? The pharmacist says it's ok But if
there is someone that knows this answer from experience. I'd like there personal advice. Also since it makes me sleepy,
I was wondering if I could break the pill in half and just take half. there is a splitter line down the middle of it. I
realize that it's not safe to split drugs in half, but this is not a timed release medication.Really needing answers,
would appreciate any sound advice. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Citalopram HBr is an orally administered selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) with a chemical structure unrelated to that of other SSRIs or of tricyclic, tetracyclic, or other available antidepressant agents

Concomitant use in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated (see WARNINGS).

Concomitant use in patients taking pimozide is contraindicated (see PRECAUTIONS).

Citalopram Tablets are contraindicated in patients with a hypersensitivity to citalopram or any of the inactive ingredients in Citalopram Tablets.

During marketing of citalopram and other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, and hypomania. While these events are generally self-limiting, there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with citalopram. A gradual reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).

Clinical experience with citalopram in patients with certain concomitant systemic illnesses is limited. Caution is advisable in using citalopram in patients with diseases or conditions that produce altered metabolism or hemodynamic responses.

Because citalopram is extensively metabolized, excretion of unchanged drug in urine is a minor route of elimination. Until adequate numbers of patients with severe renal impairment have been evaluated during chronic treatment with citalopram, however, it should be used with caution in such patients (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).
    ---

There are 216 personal reviews on this drug at drugs.com (User Reviews for Citalopram).

• Usually your body gets used to the side effects of medications like drowsiness. I would give your Dr. a call just to let him know if you plan on taking the split pill twice a day or take it close to bedtime. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.