Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else have trauma to start your stenosis symptoms ?

lbritt64llbritt64 Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Spinal Stenosis
For me I never had a problem until last 8/15/10 when I wrecked my Harley and it flip me 3 times and threw me 97.5 feet away from what my accident report says. I was in a coma and on life support for about 5 weeks. After another month in the hospital I came home. The wreck broke 7 ribs on one side and ruptured my spleen which they took out. I have came a long way and have more to go. I can't work and don't know if I will ever be able to. I rely on my faith and take it day by day. I know more are suffering through this and would like to offer my info and would like to hear about your conditions and recovery.

• Hi

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will others going through the same as yourself. You have already come along way from the position you were in, so congrats on all the hard work. I think there are many whom can say they arrived here from trauma, myself included, but via a car accident. While my accident wasn't severe as yours, I can understand life changes in a instant. Sometimes given the way it happened and know you were fine one minute and not the not, versus others whom it happened gradually makes it harder to deal with. But hang in there and keep your chin up you have come along way. Looks like you just had surgery and sometimes it get even harder while your recovering. Check the chat rooms out there is always someone to chat with.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on your recovery. Take care.
  • Yes my spinal stenosis and many other things back related came from trauma. Not quite as serious as yours tho!! I was knocked unconscious by a snowboarder: concussion, bruised kidney, moved SI joint to different time zone and tore cartilage in both knees. Over the years I have had many procedures including 4 back surgeries, 3 of which were fusions. My first 2 fusions were only 7 months apart so I really had only started my recovery. The 3rd fusion was about 2 1/2 years after the 2nd. It was the toughest recovery as they had to separate L5 and S1 to put a spacer in since the disc was so degenerated. That is causing lots of post op pain (I am fused L1 to S1). I did have a laminectomy on L4/L5 but that did not hold up and I had the fusions. I am an active person and I think that has helped my recoveries. I do swim and it is wonderful to feel weightless. Altho the pain never really goes away the fusions have fixed the individual problems with my spine. The spinal stenosis is always there tho. Good luck and as in the previous post please keep us posted of how you are doing. Feel free to ask more questions.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Thanks all for the warm welcome. I forgot to add I had a lacerated kidney also. When I was unconscious thet thought I might be paralyzed if I did make it cause I did not have any reflexes on the right side. Being laid up so long I developed a frozen should which I went to therapy up until my last surgery. It is doing better but still weak maybe it's due the the cervical nerves being compressed. Also lately I have devolved tingling in the right side of my neck and face that comes and comes. I went 2 months and didn't walk. Now I walk with a slight limp and hope it will improve. I know I hear most regain from stenosis surgery. It has only been a short time so I must be patient. I was alway active and worked 2 jobs and did some side jobs on pc's so this is hard not being able to even mow my lawn. At least the pain is very minimum now. Was taking med's from flexaril, tramidol , lortab and even percacets. Not all at the same time I'm off all meds now and was only on those since Jan after the first surgery.