Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd Surgery next week

tms68ttms68 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi! I'm new here and really glad I found this forum. I had an emergency L5/S1 microdiscectomy w/ decompression and laminectomy 4 months ago. I laso have DDD. I've had pain for 3 months. An mri in Feb. showed the disc had bulged a little but not enough to cause pain. The pain was sciatic and drove me crazy. I had another mri this week because I'm having spots of tingling in the left leg, leg has started to tremor and still having pain when I do anything at all. MRI showed a little more of a buldge than in Feb. and also showed scar tissue close to the sciatic nerve. I will undergo my 2nd microdiscectomy (w/ scar tissue removalthis time) next week. I'm freaking out a little. The last time I had surgery there wasn't any time to freak out plus I couldn't feel anything from my hips down so I was up for whatever they said they needed to do. Guess I'm just needing some cheering on at this point. LOL! I remember the recovery being long and I went though withdrawels when I stopped taking the pain meds. This isn't on my list of things I want to do. Trying hard to be positive and not have a pity-party. I know it could be much worse. Thanks for listening! :)

• Hey there..I know how you feel. I had a herniated disc (tore the annulus and had a huge mass impinging my nerve)...urgent MicroD. It failed, and had my 2nd one 5 months later. Oddly, I was more freaked out the first time...b/c i felt I had to make a quick decision.

I actually did quite well after the 2nd one and hope the same goes for you too. I also hope they are able to go through the same incision for your. I thought I didn't want that figuring it might not heal well or might be more sore but turns out, they went through the same incision and it healed quite nicely. Nice to only have 1 scar for my 2 surgeries.

They may want you to take it easy for a big longer after the 2nd one and the surgery might take a little longer b/c of the scar tissue but in general, the good news (if there is any), is that you know what to expect and are more experienced.

good luck.
  • I've got my pom poms out and am cheering you on! Welcome tms68 to SH. You have come to the right spot for support and answers.

I will be thinking of you next week and wishing you all the best. Try to do something special for yourself this week leading up to the surgery.

Please let us know how you are doing, before and when you are able, after surgery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi!
    I want to encourage you! I injured my back at the age of 16. I have since been through 5 back surgeries and I must say they seem to get easier as each one. Please do not be worried. And if possible try and recover without pain meds. I did this the last open back surgery I had 9 months ago and I recovered the best from that one. It is truly a mind battle. Foremost, I am a Christian. God truly has been the guiding and calming force behind each surgery. I love Him. If you are not a Christian I want to encourage you to open your heart to Him. If you are Psalm 23:1-4.
    " 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
    he leads me beside quiet waters,
    3 he refreshes my soul.
    He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
    4 Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
    I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me."

In Christ,
  • Thank you all for the positive thoughts! Erin, I am a Christian and have been in prayer. I know that God isn't going to give me more than I can handle. Sometimes I think he thinks I'm stronger than I do..LOL!

Karen, my daughter and I had "Girl's Day" yesterday at the spa. Very nice day.

I was wondering if recovery would be longer because there is the scar tissue issue. Is that going to happen again after this surgery? I did everything I was supposed to. I don't want to do this again in 4 months because of more scar tissue.

Trisha :)