Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello, back pain 24/7 looking for answers

cduval04ccduval04 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
hello, I am almost 25, don't let that fool you my medical record is a foot high.....

although my back pain did not come on overnight, it was not really gradual either, sometimes its low lumbar pain, and other time it's more halfway up my back. I remember almost a year ago now I began to have this pain on the right next to but slightly below my belly button, sometimes it would be higher and sometimes lower, now the back pain is constant all the time dull aching back pain, there are certain points on my torso when if pressed really hurt one of these seems to be right on my 11th or 12th rib and goes around to my back and if you press right where my right kidney is it hurts like a MF. I had lapband surgery in december starting out with a BMI of 47 and am now at BMI of 44.8 which is still very big, still I don't find it fair when I go to a rheumy and becuase I am so young he just gives me a script for relafin and says lose weight....A hole...the relafin does NOTHING...the problem is I am starting to take too much ibuprofen esp for a bandster and it is making me retain fluid like a balloon...tylenol does nothing for me and flexeril doesn't do much either also making me retain mad fluid...I don't know if the issue is skeletal or muscular....

I got severe infectious colitis back in march and was dxed with IBS-PI, but I have since discovered it may just be lactose intolerance - high fat, or high sugar foods (when I eat them don't seem to affect me. Give me a pint of ice cream though and I am on the toilet my intestines twisting inside of me, bought some lactaid pills and they seem to be helping. Dairy makes up probably 60-65% of my diet, yogurt, cott chesse, ice cream, milk, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese I love it all...I always get the fat free or lowfat versions tho.

anyway, I have been to soooooo many doctors & they either throw another prescription at me, tell me I'm depressed or tell me to lose weight, I can't stand it. I have had many tests and all of them come back ok or don't draw attention
things I notice that are consisteitly a tad out of range are:
UR creatinine is always high
WBC count is always on the high end at 10 or 11
c reactive protein was very high both times I had it
monocytes and granulocytes are always out of range
albumin is always low, but I was told not to worry b/c prealbumin and total protein are fine.
thyroid is finally at a normal range for now
bilurbin is always on the low end of the spectrum

I do have a lot of "adrenal type" symptoms but as you know these are not recognized by conventional medicine unless you have lab confirmed addisons (totally fried adrenals) or cushings (super overactive adrenals pumping out deadly amounts of cortisol)...

I have had my dhare of issues and will continue to, but as they say one day at a time and right now it would be such an incredible relief if this back pain would just go away even for one day. I have a $2000 100% latex mattress and I still awaken feeling like I slept on what I imagine a prison cot would feel like...I have not started any new meds recently either....

TIA for any advice!

• I see you have had a lot of blood work done, but have you had a MRI on your back to see maybe what is causing your back pain?? I do understand what you are saying about the doctors only looking at your weight. I think it has become their problem solver for everything and it is ridiculous! If your doctor will not give you a test to look at your back and see if there is a something causing this then you might want to find a new one. Good luck with everything, I hope you will find some answers soon.
  • yeah I can no longer have MRI's since I got neurostimulaotr implants in my brain to control debilitating symptoms or tourettes that I had been suffering with since I was 6...the magnets in the MRI machine would heat up the electrodes in my brain and would/could damage the device and/or my brain

..it was incredibly successful at reducing my tics and I can now live I normal life....but as I said..I have never been able to have my cake and eat it too! with every good pops out a bad, if a med helps me, I cannot stay on it b/c of side effects etc. etc. but it was worth it, I can now function normally and for that I can give up MRI's

I know CT scans and MRI's are sort of like the difference between high def and standard def, or like 38mm film and blu ray, but would a CT be able to appropriately dx a back problem, like a bulging or herniated disc?

• They can do a CT myelogram to take a look at the discs in your back. This test is used either in conjunction with an MRI to get a better picture, or it is used for those who are unable to have an MRI. It is not the most pleasant procedure, or at least for me it wasn't, but it sounds like that may be your next step. I would make an appt to see a neurosurgeon. Some people go to orthopaedic surgeons, but if it's anything having to do with the spine, I prefer to stick with a NS.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this at such a young age. I can completely relate. I am 29 and have had numerous health problems over the years. I injured my back while lifting my daughter this past October, and it's been downhill ever since. The MRI and CT myelo showed several t-spine herniations, and I will likely be having surgery mid-June.
  • Have you tried working with a dietician as well?
    I only recommend this because if you have issues with lactose, you may also have issues with gluten. Diet can help with a lot of the other aches/pains you have. Also, try keeping a journal of what you eat and what activity and then how you feel periodically.

Why? You may be able to see a pattern with food or a certain activity or if you sit too long or if you don't drink enough water that correlates to certain pains.
This discussion has been closed.