Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody have worse pain after ESI

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 08/21/2014 - 3:39 PM in Spinal Injections
OK this is getting ridiculousness. when i had and every since i had the injection 9 days ago my leg and foot cramps have steadily gotten worse. i do not no if its from the injection or the fall the week before. but the cramping did not start getting worse in tell the time of the injection.
I don't think he hit a nerve- but it was all so sore before the injection I barely felt the numbing shot.
And to night it is on, i have maxed out on the brake threw meds hours ago and the cramping pain in my leg and foot now in clued my back( witch has made me up chuck what little i ate for dinner)that's no fun dry heaven'
tens unit and ice are making it worse heat is making it hot. walking is out of the picture.laying on the floor with feet in char, not workin. hot shower tubby not. kinda half sitting pecking on the comp kinda getting my mind off it.
going to the ER ,not riding in the car for 30 min. besides its memorial day weekend. i am all most to the point of laying on the floor and having one of the kids beat on me with a baseball bat till i pass out.
Anybody have a off the wall fix ?

• First off, support *HUG* to you. I've had ESI's for my shoulder, and my neck. Neither of which helped me. Some folks love them, but for me, no change.

Oddly (and I see it here), the lumbar ones seem to have a better track record, but necks, yuck! If I had the pain you're describing, I would be calling them tomorrow! You are the customer, and they need to please YOU. I am so sorry the shots aren't helping.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Such severe pain...so sorry.
    In the past I rec'd injections to the thoracic area and the pain was incredibly worse. Also, I had such severe nausea and vomiting for days afterwards.

The only injection I had slim results with was for my right foot. Now I don't hit on it as often with screaming pain.

I have found soaking in hot tub helps a little and sometimes. Often I am out of tub only 5 minutes.. then back to hot water immersion.
    I have had to go to ER..I say to "reboot"...to stop the pain cycle. My body gave me no choice.

I hope you find something to at least stop the screaming pain. Take care.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have worse pain after injections but immediately after I have relief than a couple of days after start getting a heaviness weight and throbbing in my back and my foot is still numb and tingling and put ice on it. It takes me 3 weeks to get a minimal 20% relief. I hope you're on your meds. Did you get a check up after the fall you had also?

When the pain gets to be a 7 I go in the tub as painful as it is to get out afterwards pulling myself, it does provide some relief for me but if it didn't I'm out to the ER for pain management which is rare for me to go. I even get on the exercise ball to lightly bounce a few minutes then ice again. Sorry to hear and hope it gets better for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had an ESI injection and a facet block in my thoracic spine, and both caused me increased pain...moreso the ESI, though. I remember I could barely move the night that I had it. The increased pain subsided after about a day or so, but I didn't notice much of a difference with my chronic pain. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I agree with everyone else...if it's that bad, you may need to go to the ER where they can give you a shot of something stronger, to help you get ahead of the pain again.
  • at about 4am i got in hot tubby. for as long as i could stand it then put a new battery in my tens unit
    pads on back and down leg. put pillow's on floor feet on couch me flat on floor turned tens all the way up elect on fry.and finely fell a sleep( awe ).
    woke up at 9am leg and back all kinda numby from cookin so long oops. finely some let up i called doc and left a message,her nurse called back just after noon(can you believe that on a Sunday and a holiday weekend)and say if i get that bad up my perco- and if dose not work go to ER and get a injection. she say its not good to get that bad for so long as my blood pressure was probably way to high.
    so i should have gone to ER (deeee ta dee)i could still breath and i did not even have tunnel vision this time. maybe tunnel vision is caused from hi blood pressure humm?
    any way thanks all i go and kick back for the rest of the day and see if i can keep the mad guy in the bottle. :|
  • That's good your Dr. got back to you through her nurse. I'm glad you got some sleep also and the Dr. said you could take more Percocet and ok'd it you could go to the ER if need be. You never know how busy it's going to be but if you're having unbearable pain you need to go and hopefully the wait isn't so long. I hear Epsom salts are good too for a tub bath to sooth your back. I hope the increased pain stops soon for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • ER = i did not like the idea of going in not because of the Wate Time, but going threw all the crap,see chk in nurse,doc assent,doc, x-rays,and finely some one checks my history and gives me some help but the nurse say on my next visit my doc could put something in my file so it could cut out most of the crap. i guess having a doc in a group with a hospital mite be ok after all.
    yes i used to do the tubby thing all the time just in the last few months i just don't have the drive any more. its like the time spent trying to feel better is like putting out a forest fire with a Dixie cup.
  • John,
    I know exactly what you are going thru. I just went thru this a month ago. I had exactly the same problems. It's a never ending saga at my house as my hubby says. The extreme pain and you have done everything you can...we all know what it's like. I'm glad to see your doc is listening to you and is calling you back with suggestions. Dude, don't wait so long to take another perc. after you up-chuck your meds. I actually get sick from the pain and have to "replace" what I lost, if I don't I will regret it. Good luck and watch that bp.
  • I recently had ESI done on my lumbar area and few days latter I started having numbness in my right thumb and arm. I know this strange but wanted to know if any else knows of relationship between the 2 areas..
  • the injection at the lumbar should not effect your upper thoracic or cervical spine, for me, the numbness in my hands is usually from the herniations i have in my c-4 and c-5 and t1 and t-2 and t-3 area of my spine.if you look up dermatone chart it will show u what nerves effect what parts of the body.goodluck, gary
  • I just had my 2nd Lumbar steroid epidural injection, I called my pain dr that did it yesterday because my breastbone, breasts, my whole ribcage, my shoulder blades and the whole area between them are just hurting. I was having more pain in my right leg also, he put more meds into my right leg because I was having pain there also. I felt like it was gonna explode during the procedure along with my back. He said everything went ok everything was good he did nothing wrong its probably just excess fluids. Which I kind of believed cuz Im swollen everywhere (I cant even wear my wedding rings) but today is the 4th day and I hurt more than I have ever hurt before. And of course there is no way to get a hold of him, no on call number. He did allow me to take 7 pain pills a day instead of 5 for a few days, but it doesnt even touch it. The first SEI he did I hurt a bit for 3 days then it worked for 7 days then it just stopped working altogether. In my lumbar spine alone I have 2 herniated disks and at L5-S1 I have a herniated and bulging disk that is causing nerve root impingement. And it is making me (TMI I know) wet the bed when I am sleeping flat on my back only. If I dont feel better by Monday, Im calling his office back!