Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help ITCHY stitches

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone got any home remedies for my stitches itching. I was lucky with the fusion they glued my back so no scabbing and itching. When he took my hardware out last week he used stitches. Now it's scabbing and cracking and itching. I can tolerate the cracking and scabbing but the itching is driving me insane. I've got 2 more weeks with these things and can't stand it. Guess it's my own fault I told him not to worry about the tattoo this time I just want to feel better. I know itching is supposed to be a good sign, healing and all, but I've woken up scratching and some blood from the pulling the scabs off. Other then that I'm recovering well.

• Lilac,

I found for me, mixing the use of ice and heat seemed to calm it down, and too speed up the healing process. The heat increased the blood flow, and the ice numbed things up a bit to take the edge off of the itching.

The other thing I did with several surgical incisions is massage the incision - it knocks down/breaks up surface scar tissue and seems to reduce the sensitivity of the incision site that causes some of the itching.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you, I've been using ice but I'll try some heat.