Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In excruciating pain- upper back-plssssssssssssss help!!!

rizzielizzierrizzielizzie Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everybody!! Im hoping that someone can give me some advice that helps!

I'm 25 years old and the last couple of days I've been suffering from excruciating pain in my upper back! The last couple of mornings I woke up thinking that I was having a heart attack!! Thats how bad it was - I couldn't move or sit-up without throwing myself into agonizing pain. Now I know what a knife in the back feels like - thats how it felt - like someone just plunged a knife deep into my back. What worries me is that this pain is also on the left side (which is probably why i woke up thinking i was having a heart attack) - it's basically in the same area my bra strap would meet at the back (on the left side) - and it seems concentrated in that area only - I don't feel any pain at all on my right side and none at all below my neck or even between my shoulder blades.

A friend recommended that I take Robaxisal which is pain medication that targets back pain. It helps - but I understand that this is temporary fix. Any advice?

• Have you seen a doctor about this?
    You really should get checked out. They will probably check your heart and other internal organs first, but then you need to have your spine checked out.
    The symptoms you have could be several things. One of them is thoracic spine problem. Thoracic spine problems are quite rare, but they are often misdiagnosed as a heart attack.

Please make an appointment to see your GP, at the very minimum.

Please let us know what you are diagnosed with.

I suffer with 3 disc herniations in my thoracic spine, and recognise the symptoms that you described. I also have gall bladder problems, and I myself thought that was my thoracic problems flaring up before having an ultrasound of my internal organs.

You have found a friendly place here and there is a lot of information and support for spine pain sufferers. :-)

• Hi all, It's been a couple weeks since I've been in here. Was in the hospital. Couldn't breath, shortness of breath, and guess what the Doc's said? It's my Thoracic Disc's!... Unbelievable...
    Can anyone in the forum help me understand in laymens terms what my CT Scan means? Are they all real bad, the 3 epidurals I had last month did not work. Went to PT today and she said that all my T discs are swollen when she went up and down my spine.

Canal and foramina:

There is disk degeneration with spondylosis and posterior disk bulging
    with associated remodelling of the bone and osteophytosis at its superior
    and inferior margins

At T7-T8, there is moderate to large central mostly left-sided disk extrusion with inferior migration with moderate flattening of the spinal cord likely present

At T8-T9, there is moderate central disk protrusion or perhaps extrusion with likely mild flattening of the spinal cord

At T10-T11, there is focal posterior spondylosis with likely mild to moderate sided disk protrusion and perhaps some impression on the spinal cord

At T11-T12, mild posterior disk osteophyte hypertrophy with mild canal encroachment without gross spinal cord compression is suspected

No significant foramina encroachment noted

There is spinal cord stimulator terminating at
    about the T8-T9

C2-C3: Canal and foramina are patent.

C3-C4: There is mild disk degeneration and left-sided disk osteophyte
    hypertrophy , likely mild lateral thecal sac compression. Dominant left
    facet joint hypertrophy. Minimal left foraminal encroachment

C4-C5: Mild posterior disk osteophyte hypertrophy ,bilateral facet joint hypertrophy and mild right foramina encroachment and mild central spinal
    canal encroachment

C5-C6: Mild posterior disk osteophyte hypertrophy with mild canal encroachment to the left side and bilateral facet joint hypertrophy left greater than right mild foraminal encroachment

C6-C7: Canal and foramina are patent.

C7-T1: Canal and foramina are patent.

Doc put me on OxyContin and OxyCodone (breakthrough). I feel Pain all the time.
    Maybe if someone could read this back to me in laymen terms, I'd feel a bit better.

Thanks to all who can help me.
  • Sorry, I hit the send button twice... again...duhhhh
  • Hi there, did you go see your doctor? Instead of guessing what could be wrong, make an appointment and see your doctor. All I did was fall on ice in December and my back is a mess!
    Hope you feel better soon.