Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Sleep Problems
Last night I had the worst painful sleep yet, and have been having pain for over 3 years. I was on Percocet all night as usual, and I always take melatonin and a sleep aide every night. Not only was my back on fire last night my left shoulder and arm was throbbing all night long (this is new)I could not get comfortable in any position! I went from the bed, to the couch, to the recliner, back to the bed all in the course of one night! Does anyone have any suggestions that might help! Last night I would have had surgery on the spot if I could have and I think it definetly made up my mind about having upcoming surgery.

• when i have these nights i go rock in my rocking chair. i find the act of rocking back and forth soothing. even if i don't fall asleep i try to be content with knowing that i am at least self soothing
  • No advice..just a big hug :(
    I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!
  • A nice warm bath a glass of your favorite wine,some Berry White and some radical sex. ;))
    Works every time for me ! (|:
    As you can tell ,seeing I am posting at 2:00 AM. =)) =)) =))
  • i have not slept for more than 2 /3 hours since my last operation {2007} so i know and fully understand you .tonights pain is bloody awful it like someone is smashing a hammer in to my lower back and even though i am so tired the pain will always get me up ..what i do is put on TENS pop some more pain killers and have a cup of tea and hope that i will drift off in my chair watching two and a half men!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Sorry- the only thing I suggest is seeing your doctor. I have the same problem lately.

I use the 4" foam mattress topper and lots of pillow to take pressure off my spine. The only problem is the pressure then gets moved to a different spot. My spine is tender to touch so lately I have been back to laying on my side which in turn causes problems with my hips and pelvis. I am thinking about a 9-12" memory foam mattress- but I am broke at the moment.

I keep a heating pad in my bed and a couple ice packs that I rotate out as well as my Tens Unit handy. I am on what they consider an opiod resistant dose of Oxycontin CR, Oxycodone and a muscle relaxer (just switched back to Zanaflex again). I have had the best luck with generic Zanaflex 4 mg (I can break them in half during the day and take a full dose at night). I also try to get Vit D & the B's in and use Magneseum Oil Spray.

If we could just get a week worth of 8 hour nights can you imagine how much better we would feel? :)

Incidently when I had my first knee surgery the OS said night time pain was the largest conributing factor to most knee surgeries. Why are us back patients jsut expected to live with it?

I hope you get some rest soon,