Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are you thankful for?

LonelygirlLLonelygirl Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
So I've been experiencing one sh**ty day after another lately and with my husband deployed it's even harder to cope. I had surgery last Oct and still have a lot of local and nerve-related pain in my legs. I thought that after 6 months or so I'd feel a lot better, but that hasn't been the case. I also am active duty military and the way I've been cast aside at work has helped me to reach an all-time low.

I've posted in the past, bitched about my pain, complained about how others have treated me, blah blah ad nauseum. Tonight I thought I'd like to help us remember the little things in life that help keep us going through thick and thin.

So, what are you thankful for? I'll go first :)

- my husband, deployed or not he is my rock...he listens to me even if I've gone totally nuts...he never judges and he always loves me
- my cats...they're part of the family after all, and they are first in line to cuddle when they can tell I'm not feeling well...and when I've pissed off everyone else I know they're still there for me

It's way too easy to isolate and alienate yourself from others who are trying to help. Let this thread be a place where we can be reminded that there are others out there who DO care, who DO want to help...and that maybe once in a while we need to open up and let them in.

I hope you guys will reply to this thread and offer a bit of sunshine to those of us who have seen many stormy days. Thank you :-)

• I dont know why anyone would alienate themself from people trying to help. If you are lucky enough to have people that are trying to help is a good thing. Only people its easy to be alienated from are who are critics about us being this way in chronic pain. None of us need to be reminded how we cant do so many things and why dont you do this why dont you do that bla bla bla bla bla lol.

So if people understand and they are there for you then its worth keeping them around. Thats something to be thankfull for already. I think many of us in chronic pain find people that are not, get under our skin. Especialy if there mouth is just moving but not saying anything worth listening to. I think we all know someone either friend or family that thinks you cant be that bad just because they are not and they have no medical know how what so ever.

I am thankful its finally summer and sunshine and flowers are blooming trees are green, grass is growing so have to cut the frickin grass again. Lets see what else. Hmmmm got nothing lol
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Lonelygirl.

I can say that I'm grateful for a few things:

I'm grateful that I finally found a job, even though it hurts.

I'm grateful for my ever-understanding and supportive hubby who never judges me and understands and cares for me daily.

I'm grateful for my diligent and intelligent surgeon (and his PA) who are always there to answer my questions and help me in any way they can - we've had a great relationship for three years.

I'm grateful for my little corgi Wally, who always knows when I'm having a bad day, is free with his kisses and hugs, but doesn't care when it comes time for his walk. I guess he knows I need to walk too.

I'm grateful for my friends who understand, who walk with me and who make plans for us knowing my limitations.

I'm grateful for Spine-Health, the one place where everyone understands, where I can get support and ask questions, help others and the friendships and bonds I've made here.

And, last but not least, I'm grateful for God and my church family - their constant support and fellowship.

Thanks for your post. We do need to realize the things that we can be grateful for because for many of us, there are too few. But usually more than you realize, if you really sit and think about it.

• I am thankful for my husband, and his wonderful help and support especially through the early days of my recovery.

I am thankful for my family, especially my three grown children and my granddaughter (and grandson on the way).

I am thankful for the friends who stuck by me and didn't forget me just because I was missing and out of action during my very long recovery. They brought round meals for the family, a bouquet of cupcakes (looked like flowers), cards, flowers and just their time and friendship and provided lifts when I needed to get to hospital appointments once hubby had gone back to work. Those visits were quiet frequent as I had problems with my incision healing and got an infection that had to be regularly cleaned and dressed. Most of these were church friends :-)

I am thankful that I didn't start to have awful pain with my back and legs until I was in my 50s. The doctors were amazed that I had managed to carry 3 pregnancies with my grade 2 spondylolisthesis which they say I had had since I was a teenager. I did have symptoms since teenager days, but managed to ignore them for about 30 years, until I could hardly walk.

I am thankful for the beautiful walks that I have on my doorstep and all the wildlife that I see on my daily excursions.

I am thankful for discovering Spine Health and all the friendships and support that I have found here. Also for the opportunity to support others at the beginning of their spinal journey. They often help me to realise how far I have come and how much better I am now.

Thank you for this post. It has helped me to focus on lots of positives in my life. :D

• I'm thankful for another day, every thing and everyone in it.

• For my family, who have rallied around me for the last two years.

For my spiney friends, who have supported me during tough times.

For mental clarity, thank GOD for it, or I would have lost everything because of this disability.

For air conditioning :-)... it is sweltering hot down here in the deep south.

• Having a supporting hubby who is also my best friend.

My fur kids - who seem to know when I am having one of those days, and cuddle with me and purr.

Having no major bills, and house paid off.

This site as for getting and sharing support, and just knowing folks here "get it." :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hey Lonelygirl, from a northern sister soldier ;)

I think it's easier for us to be thankful for certain things, having been to the places we've been and seen the things we've seen. We have our own limbs to walk on, whether they hurt or not, they're still attached! we live in relatively clean countries, with running water and indoor plumbing. We don't have to look at the ground to watch where we're stepping in fear of IEDs or landmines. We don't have to worry, when hearing that haunting, eerie whistle, if the rocket is going to land anywhere in our vicinity. We have doctors and well established, equipped hospitals to take care of us, and won't turn us away because we are women. I could go on and on, but I know that you know, and others can well imagine, what I'm thankful for everyday of my life, whether it's in pain or no pain. I'm at home, in my own country, surrounded by my family and loved ones. Running water and real toilet paper (lol, who would've guessed you'd ever be so happy to see a real roll of toilet paper!!) I am thankful in spite of my pain, and if it gets me down, I get up, go to the bathroom and hold onto that roll until I'm thankful again ;) Hope your hubby comes home safe and soon! If you ever want to vent, I'm always here.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • my wife
    my lovely cocker spaniel
    the memories of my fantastic gran
    and Oxycontin
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am thankful for:

- my family
    - my girlfriend
    - my beautiful Russian Blue cat who keeps me company when I can't get out and always finds new ways to make me smile
    - being alive, not having anything more serious than chronic pain

• Kelly, I appreciate the unique perspective you brought to this post. It is so easy to forget not only how other people here have it with regard to pain, but also how folks in more austere locales have it. So here's another list of "I'm thankful for's" with a silly twist :)

- toilet seats that aren't broken from TCNs standing on them to pee
    - a bathroom that is less than 1/2 mile away
    - no camel spiders!
    - no more dirt everywhere (I mean EVERYWHERE...TMI!)
    - no more shaking my boots out before I put them on
    - no more random bottles of pee left outside the tents
    - no more filling sandbags and Hesco barriers...dirty boogers are gross

A lot of my friends are deployed right now and while the majority of them are no longer staying in tents, some are out in the field every day fighting for what we often take for granted. I may never deploy again, but will always be proud of the contributions I was able to make to my country and I will never again take my MANY freedoms for granted.

Let's keep this thread going, it's making me smile :D

• I am thankful for:
    *My surgeon who is the BEST
    *My 5 cats who always seem to understand when I am down
    *My friends
    *My recliner and infrared heating pad
    *My garden and birdfeeders
    *My surgeries were successful even tho there is still some pain
    *My job
    *Pain killers and ambien
    *House paid off
    *Spine Health
    *My Masters swim team

This was a great idea to do this!! We sometimes forget and I am sure all of us can come up with a longer list with more time.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • my parents, brother and sister
    my nephews
    my two fur-faced little kitties
    my friends
    my neighbour's dog who is always so happy to see me
    my band
    every good night sleep i get

... and like janiski, my surgeries, even though i have chronic pain. the pain was significantly worse before my surgeries
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    That I can wake up and see each new day
    That I can spend time with my loved ones
    That I can Walk (well a little impaired) Talk
    That I am ALIVE!

Everything else just makes each day better and better
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • 1. The wonderful support I have found here, who helped me through especially through the past two years, and whom would listen at any time when even my family didn't want to hear about my troubles anymore.
    2. My pain management doctor. Sounds corny, but he is truly a compassionate and professional doctor. He may not "advise" me what to do surgically, but he is always there, even after the surgeons won't return my calls and abandon me. Never once did I doubt that my PM didn't have my best interest at heart.
    3. Last, but most important, my faith in my Christ and Savior. Without this, I wouldn't have the hope and strength to still be here.
  • Guess I should add that I am thankful for my boyfriend, altho he drives me crazy half the time!! He tries to be supportive and keep me laughing and he is helpful.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I am thankful for my husband of 41 years who is always there for me. I am thankful for my faith and a God who truly cares for me. I am thankful for my two sons and 4 adorable grandkids. I am thankful that I have good health insurance and can afford the meds I need. I am thankful for each one of my very special doctors. I am thankful that I have the best two parents in the world who are still alive at 80 and 86. I am thankful for my Christian chronic pain site and clouds and friends who have been family me over the past 8 years or so as I have dealt with fibro and other chronic pain issues.

sue in ohio
  • Sue in ohio I really liked that you included your parents. You are lucky they are still alive.

• Having my husband though it's been a lot for him to understand we still have a good relationship after 19 years.

Also for My Mother and Father even though they're not together they're there for me and also my two brothers and nieces and a few other close family members and good friends though we don't see each other much anymore due to my limitations. And also my two kitties who keep me company and love unconditionally.

That I sold my house right away and even though I'm going back to renting will not have all the responsibilities and less financial worries.

Thankful to have worked at a great career and had good benefits so I can eat still.

Thankful for each day to be alive and for my faith.

Thankful for everyone here helping me to make it these past almost 3 years of chronic pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • First of all I'm thankful to God for all the beauty in the world.

I'm thankful for my husband who does everything he can to make me more comfortable.

And for my 5 sons who love me and treat me sweetly and gently, and for my 4 year old grandson and 3 year old grandaughter who are the lights in my life and the stars in my eyes.

I'm so thankful for the ability to pay for the medications and treatments I need.

And I'm thankful for new friends and fellow sufferers who are willing to share their lives, experiences, and wisdom.

Lastly, I'm so very thankful for the men and women who've given themselves for the freedom of this country. Those that have served and are serving now, I thank you.

• I also love my ANS implant and being off most meds. This chronic pain thing is a huge daily challenge for me, and I try to see it as an opportunity. Sometimes it is damn hard to do that, when I would rather take a buzz saw and remove my right leg- constant sciatic pain and spasm! I have good days and bad days, and I really think it is great to have my supportive kids, and the people on the forum who understand what this is really like on a daily basis. I try to explain now to people that it is like having the worst migraine they can imagine day and night. They usually get it for at least a little bit. It is a one day at time thing for me, and figuring out a plan that helps me feel as good as I can. Still working on that...

Sending support to my fellow chronic pain survivors,

• I am thankful for so many things that I don't know where to start!

I am thankful that I have had the strength to be proactive and able to find many treatments that have given me some or much relief. I am thankful for my wonderful husband, three wonderful boys and their "girls", supportive parents (I, too, am lucky to still have both Mom and Dad!!)♥, my beautiful border collie, Lily, who gets me out every day, and an amazing group of friends who have been there for me, through thick and thin. I am thankful that I have the knowledge to help support others in chronic pain, including nursing students and mental health patients. I am thankful that in most cases I can find the silver lining in situations and find joy in simple, everyday things. I am thankful for my camera...nothing makes me happier than being out in nature with it and sharing my photos with others. I am thankful for scientists who continue their research to try and find cures or relief for our conditions.

I could go on and on.....I guess that's a good thing!

• I am thankful for the hope I received yesterday from a Pain Mgmt Doctor, of all people!

background: multiple tears and ruptures on all lumbar discs, impingement on L1 and L5, facet joint problems and no surgical hope according to my surgeon that fixed my C4/5/6 7 years ago.

Yesterday I met with a PM Dr and instead of pushing pills he recommended a sacroilliac injection (tomorrow morning) and a couple facet injections right away. He believes 75% of my pain is from there. If that doesnt work then he mentioned a spinal cord stimulator.

He wasnt a pill pusher and he gave me a ton of hope.

He also recommended continued chiropractic care and exercise. My chiropractor is a bit holistic and nontraditional and actually referred me to the PM Dr.

Thank God I am not just getting stuck in the dope and lost. The dope will kill me or worse, it will make both me and you wish I was dead.

Update you all tomorrow.

OH, and I am very grateful for my Siamese and my Sphynx that I can tell anything and they dont judge me or repeat it!
  • Lonelygirl said:

- toilet seats that aren't broken from TCNs standing on them to pee
    omg, or walking into a blue rocket where TCNs had used the walls to wipe their hands on after the dirty deed!!! eewwww so gross!!!! :sick:

(they obviously don't know to be thankful for rolls of real toilet paper....)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    A lot of thought. What am I thankful for. A lot when I think about it for awhile.
    My parents for raising me in the Lutheran religion. Without it I'm sure I wouldn't be here today.
    My wife and best friend, my rock!
    Having stuck with the same Union job since I was 20 and gives me a pension and health care.
    My family.
    Making good finacial investments Having NO bills and a paid for house.
    Finding Spine health, so long ago, and having all of the support from members past and present. And knowing that I'm not alone in this painfull struggle, that there are people here just like me, who really understand and care.
    My home in the mountains, where when I'm having a bad day. At least I have my nature to enjoy.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm thankful for a very loving wife (we will celebrate 30 years of marriage within a couple of weeks). She doesn't always understand my CP issues but she does try. As a bonus, between the time that we met and the day we got married, she helped bring me back to a real faith in God. Without that faith and without her love I don't know what I'd do about my back.

I'm up for a fusion in early July but we're not letting that stop us from celebrating our 30th anniversary. We're taking a week to drive to KY (from MI) for a few days of "us time". We're both looking forward to that. For my part, I want to use these memories to help sustain me in the days ahead.

Disability retirement
  • I am thankful that I don't have to take a page from "The Playbook of Chronic Pain" and run each play as outlined by others every day.

• <:P
    Hi there folks,What a Great thread-A powerful weapon to focus on the POSITIVE.

Well,I think the more I think about it ,the longer the list would become,LOL.But for starters,,,,
    This site & you people for sharing!!!Making a place where we can gather & chat,share & support if poss.
    My Dog,a 13 yr old German Shepherd Bitch,Black/Tan/Grey he whispers so she dosen't hear,LOL.About the Grey bit,LOL. =))
    That even though I have to bear chronic pain 24 hrly,I can still do so much ,& have my freedom & independance.
    That I live in such a rich life of comfort compared to so many,& that I was taught about God & Christ.And that I have my faith & hope in Them.
    All the new interests i have got into,since my injury & had the time.
    And that I was earning a good wage at the time of my accident,which means my income is still OK.I can eat & pay my Bills,LOL.(At one point,they dumped me onto a sickness benefit,saying my problems were not from an accident but old age--B------d,LOL) X(
    And for you guys to burble to,LOL.
  • I am thankful for the love and support of my wife for without her I could not go thru this daily hell.
    I am thankful for the good decisions my wife and I Made in our younger years leaving us with no credit card debt, money in the bank and a small mortgage. I could not imagine going thru this with the added pressure financial pressure large debt would have created.
    I am thankful for the wonderful doctors that are trying to help me.
    I am thankful for my dogs. They always seem to know when you need a furry hug :-)
    and lastly I am glad for finding this site.
  • and i am feeling a little better than i normally do .so kath and i took olly {the dog} to our local park .big deal ..you say !!.the thing was if i would not have gone to today i would never have met someone that i have not seen for 15 years and this person was someone i liked very much {a friend of my ex wife} and i knew that she had been very ill .she went from a none smoking /drinking drug taking.fit person to having a series of strokes befor the age of 35 and she has lost everything .job/husband health etc.and the irony of it all is that my ex wife and i are still very close and she is splitting from her other half ..so in meting this person today i was able to swap telephone numbers with her and give her my ex wife's number as i am sure that she will need as many friends as she can get .amazing.if i would not have gone out today?????so i know it wont sound like much to any one reading this but believe me IT IS
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am greatful for:

1. My son Jacob, for without him, his smile and just everything about him, I would be nothing.

2. Jacob's mom, with whom I'm still good friends with even though we're not together, has been someone to lean on through these tough times, and she "gets it", that these problems can be more than just difficult.

3. My neurosurgeon, an excellent (and busy) surgeon who knows what he's doing, and is friendly on top of it.

4. My job....I'm a school bus driver, and my bus kids are super people and I have driven them the past four years. They have been "little rocks", too--they are sweethearts.

5. The supportive people on here....thanks for being there! :-)

This discussion has been closed.