Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CAUDAL LYSIS ...anyone know about it or have problems with it??

nataliebreckernnataliebrecker Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently posted about a week ago with the title "FREAKING out... Scheduled for a 7-22-11 surg for cages inserted between L4- S1 and then fusion with rods and screws at the same levels. I have also done a year of aggressive pain management. My current pain maagement doctor has done several nerve blocks (steroidal with phentanol), lumbar denervation, transforaminal block yesterday and in 2 days another transforaminal and a caudal lysis (ablation). Has anyone had the ablation where they work under and around the existing scar tissue from prior 2 level fusions? Any down sides? Any and all info, good and bad, is what I need to help decide whether I should let the doctor do it. My surgeon is against it, but, I believe the aneasthesiologist just wants to help me become more comfortable to avoid surgery. I don't think that is realistic because I have an extremely messed up back and although if lucky we could manage the pain, it still doesn't correct the underlying problem of 2 bad discs that need to be repalced with cages and slipped vertibrea (Grade II spondy) that has become more unstable in the past year. Please give me any guidance friends!!! Because I am starting to get very depressed because after going out for 2 hours a day, I rush home and lay in bed to get comfy from 1:00 until I go to bed and I am sooooo bored and feeling that my life is on hold and that I am not really living at all.
Thanks in advance for your advice!!

• related to scar tissue around above, around and below my fusion. It is done under sedation, and it can be painful. There were no studies that I was able to find that showed longterm success, and only about 40% short term success 3-6 months. And there is the possibility of the development of additional scar tissue, which would cause worsening symptoms. And there is always the risk of infection and arachnoiditis.

After the second one, I was in horrific pain similar to my fusion. The Pain Mgt Anesiologist doing the procedure was not my advocate, and telling him about my symptoms made him angry with me. My third procedure put me in bed for three months. I had to call my surgeon about my pain and symptoms and he would not let me go back to the anesthesiologist for the forth procedure that he wanted to do. My surgeon took over my care, and finally I am beginning to do better. My numbness in my legs were 50% worse after the lysis of adhesions. They also placed the equivalence of hydrocortisone 600mg during each procedure. I told him that I have adrenal insufficiency and he said that it would not hurt me....well, no I'm in adrenal failure. I can hardly move because I am so oppressively fatigued.

I did not do enough research to know the limited benefits of the procedure, as well as the limited data. I blame myself for that, but I was desparate for improvement so that I could go back to my physically heavy duty job at 8 months postop...oh, thats another thing...most people cant go back to a physcially demanding job after a fusion. Of course, NO one tells you that is the case. My naivety almost cost me my employee benefits, because my surgeon did not document ANHYTHING. Things happened but he didn't chart it until I finally made that happen.

I hope that your procedure is more successful than mine. You are welcome to PM me anytime.

Take care,