Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy, for stenosis, how long does it last?

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Has anyone here had a laminectomy for stenosis coming from arthritis, bone spurs and all that good stuff? If so how long did it last if it even worked? My ortho said he would want to fuse two levels and I mentioned laminectomy, not him. He said it is a possibility but could end up needing to go back in later anyway...blah blah. Isn't the point to maintain motion in the joint as long as possible and not just go and fuse right away?
advertisement

Comments

• I had a laminectomy for stenosis at L4/L5 and it worked great. However about 2 years later I had L4/L5 fused. And then 7 months later L1-L5 and then last march L5/S1. I have a really messed up spine so I am not a usual case. I know people who have had 2 or 3 laminectomies and thats the end of it. It just depends on the condition of your back. I am an unusual case.
    Goodl luck and keep me posted.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I had spinal decompression twice. The first time it lasted from 1992 until about 2006. The second operation in 2009 I received no relief, but there are varying opinions as to why. (I do have other issues) It depends on where your stenosis is as to whether a laminectomy would be useful. If you're unsure, you can always seek a second opinion.
  • i would also think that surgeons would try to keep the spine as mobile as possible, choosing the least restrictive measure. why do extra surgeries on "mights" and "what ifs". research shows that the vast majority of people who have had fusions do not require re-operation. personally, i would never have a 3 level fusion if i could have a 2 level fusion. i incidentally had a 2 level fusion. i wouldn't make a decision for a 3 level based on the fact that the adjacent level "might" become affected at some point in the future. just my 2 cents
  • I'm facing a Laminectomy for L5/S1 due to Epidural Lipomastosis, so since it is fat causing the problem, *I* am hoping that a Lami will take care of business short of that crap re-forming in my epidural space. They will suck the fat out...

From what I've seen "on here", a lot depends on why they do it, and if the nerves are damaged before the surgery. Too, "what" is/has caused the need for it? Fingers crossed for you. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I had a cervical laminectomy on C5 back in October of 2004 performed by a neurosurgeon. Post op he said I may be back in the future.....he is correct! I am scheduled for fusion at C5/C6 and C6/C7 on the 22nd of this month. This time I am going with an orthopedic surgeon. Terrible pain down left arm; taking 2-7.5 lortabs at a time to cut the pain. Surgery day cannot get here soon enough.
  • I sure can relate!! Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I had the cervical fusion first and I go back to the DR today and will know about how bad I need the cervical laminectomy. I hope it goes well for you all.
advertisement