Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

at my hearing,they said I was approved for SSDI,question about disability date

svtrichssvtrich Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Im really happy about being approved but.what would be my AOD [alleged onset date].from what I have read,it should be my last day that I worked/am I correct? The ALJ and my attorney never discussed this so I figured that they werent going to change the date.

I hurt my back in 2-2008 and my knees 5-2008.last day worked was 10-25-2008.so wouldnt 10-25-2008 be my disability/AOD?

• i would imagine it would be the last day you worked. however, my work had a three month period before disability would kick in, before which time we were required to use our accumulated sick leave and annual leave.
  • Usually there is a 5 month waiting period for SS disability. Call your attorney to confirm.

PS Congrats on your award.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    SS can choose a date after your last day worked if they find that there is evidence only at a later date.

(1) You go out of work 4/15/2009 but don't see a doctor at all until 5/7/09 as you treated yourself at home with heat, vicodin from prior back pain, etc. Finally on 5/7/09 you go to the emergency room, they refer you to a spine doctor, etc. SS says the first date of proof of disability is 5/7/09. Given that, your 5 full mo waiting period is June, July, Aug, Sept and Oct with SSDI beginning on November 1, 2009.

(2) You go out of work 4/15/2009. You had been seeing your spine doc for the 3mo prior for extreme pain and finally on 4/15 you are unable to work. If SS agrees you were disabled as of 4/15, then your 5 full mo waiting period is May, June, July, Aug and Sept so SSDI begins 10/01/09.

(3) You are laid off 4/15/09 and don't have a health issue disabling you until 8/3/09. Then they may use 8/3/09 as your onset date and then 5 full mo waiting period of Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan so SSDI begins Feb 1, 2010.

So your last day worked is relevant ONLY if there is proof of disability as of that date.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I saw my doctor on 5/2008 for my knee problems.my last day of work was 10/2008. so my onset date could be 5/2008 or 10/2008?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Part of qualifying for SSDI is being out of work 5 full calendar months. So if your last day of work was in 10/2008 and SS finds you disabled as of that date in 10/2008 then your 5 full mo waiting period is Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March and SSDI could begin 04/2009
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos