Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think things might be about to start moving again

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Having been waiting for a very long time, I think that things with my neck problems might be about to start moving again.

I had an email from a surgeon I saw over 18 months ago about my lumbar spine. I had left a question on his website about my neck and the symptoms I am getting, and was almost surprised to get an email from him. After a few emails back and forth, he has told me that the whole leg and abdomen spasms that I am getting need to be addressed long before my next appointment in October.

Quite seperately, I also had a message on my phone today when I got home from work saying that the neurosurgeon has read my letters, and wants to see me. I have to phone to find out the date of the appointment.

Hopefully, before very much longer, I will get some answers!

• Hi Jelly; and i would say that is some good news for ya.

Not the new problems, but the fact the doctors are responding to your e-mails and are saying that they do need to be addressed.

Here's hoping that you do get a timely appt. and dont have the several month wait that you have experienced in the past.

I'm hoping and praying for the best for ya.
  • Your Surgeon called or emailed you back. It's hard to find a good Dr. and good he's seeing you before October! It sounds like you need to have these issues looked at soon. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Jellyhall,

I bet your smile overstretched some muscles in your face! (G) *HUG*

So happy things are looking more promising for you. It's also good to see that apparently this surgeon actually cares and follows up! Excellent news!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Good luck! Good that the doc finally got back to you.
  • Good luck, Jelly! Keep us posted! :-)

• The consultant's secretary phoned me, and he wants to see me himself. I have an appointment on 21st June, so only 2 weeks away. That is more like it!

I have been feeling rather unwell today; suffering with nausea, feeling dizzy and unbalanced. I have bumped into things (door frames) several times today. Does anyone else have these symptoms?

My sleep is being disturbed more and more. I seem to wake up in pain or uncomfortable every hour or two. I have to get up and walk around the house, and sometimes go and do leg stretches. Last night, twice I got cramp in my right calf and left foot at the same time. I am soooo tired and fed up with all of this. I could have cried during the night!! :''(

When will all of this end? :(

• Sad for you that things have been getting worse for you :(

I am glad that you were able to get in to see your neurosurgeon quickly.

Hopefully you will get some answers and a game plan going to help you.

Wishing you all the best.

I have found lately that I have been more off balance lately, fell two days ago when I couldn't seem to feel my foot hitting the floor and have been having more numbness etc. I though, relate them to lumbar issues, not cervical for myself.

>:D< Karen ... let us know how you make out leading up to and after your appointment.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Jelly,

I have been having balance problems myself, and yes it seems door frames find me, too. Fumbling things in my hands and arm that feel weak--almost dead-like. Glad you're getting in sooner, that's always good! Hang in there.....

• Jelly,

What wonderful news for you! Aahhh, light at the end of the tunnel - finally!!

Sorry you're not feeling well. I get headaches which make the rest of me feel unwell as you call it. Maybe trying a different position to sleep in might help? I change head/leg elevation levels all the time. I think after a few days or a week our bodies adapt and we start hurting again! I hope you feel better soon. *HUGZ*

• for the encouragement. :-)

I have been feeling quite a bit better today and haven't bumped into anything!! :D

It could have been because I am soooo tired. Have gone days (or nights!) without more than 3 or 4 hours sleep, and then have to get up and go to work.

I took painkillers last night, and although slept better than the preceeding two nights, still only got about 4 hours sleep. I think if I didn't have to get up in the morning, I could catch up then. I have Friday off, so am hoping for a lie in then. I)

• Jelly,

Heh, lack of sleep will make us feel differently for sure! I'm glad your spirits have come up a bit. Just keep your eyes on the new (and very welcomed) prize! A NS appointment right around the corner vs months and months away!! :)

• by my physio who ordered an MRI scan on my lumbar spine, which I had last week.

He wants to see me tomorrow to discuss it.
    He said he was talking to my surgeon today about it.

I feel glad that we seem to be moving forward again after a very long break in the action. BUT, I am also feeling rather nervous as to what I will find out tomorrow!

Support and comfort needed please! :SS :SS :SS

and lots of prayers too please O:)
  • You are in my thoughts and prayers for tomorrow.
    Hope that everything goes well for you.It is great that everything is moving quickly for you ( which is quite a change)in terms of health care profesionals
    getting you in to see them.

Sending good vibes your way!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am so happy for you! Hopefully you can get some answers tomorrow and find a solution to all your suffering! Looking forward to hearing about your visit. :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Jellyhall,

As requested, lots of positive thoughts, prayers and energy heading your way! Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed that if surgery is called for, it is not October! (G)

• Well I saw my physio this afternoon and the good news is that my lumbar spine MRI looked good. The hardware from my fusion is in place, the spondylolisthesis has been pulled back into better alignment and there appears no compression on any nerves.
    He said there was white around the screws which he thought was signs of new bone growth.
    He viewed it with the surgeon who did my fusion and he was happy that everything looked ok.

This leaves us with the question of what is causing my leg pains and symptoms. We think it is probably my cervical spinal cord compression.

He had the report from my cervical MRI although he hasn't been able to view the pictures. Strangely, the report only says that I have prominent broad based posterior osteodiscal bar, centrally and to each side, impinging on and moulding the anterior surface of the cord, but without T2W cord signal change at C3/C4. The registrar had said, and showed us that there was compression at the C4/C5 level too.
    The report says that I do have less prominent posterior osteodiscal bars at the levels between C4 and C7, without cord compression, but with bilateral neural foraminal narrowing which appears to be sufficient to be symptomatic. Of course, this MRI scan is over 7 months old now.

The physio has told me that I must tell the neurosurgeon about my leg spasms/spasticity and also about how unwell I felt this week and that I kept bumping into door posts. I said that it only happened that one day, but he said the fact that I have had it at all, means I must tell him about it. He is going to write to him and explain my history as he has seen it.

I guess we can assume that all is well with my lumbar area now (Hooray!) and hopefully I will finally get told that I am fused when I next see my surgeon.

Does anyone else out there have osteodiscal bars? What are they? Off to search now to try to find out.

Thanks to all of you for the support you have given me. :D >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Jellyhall,

Did your physio mention any chance of getting another cervical MRI? On your other new thread I put what I could find of what might be an osteodiscal bars.

The scary part is if it is (your balance and leg with pain) from your neck, myelopathy starts coming to mind. Have they discussed that possibility? Or maybe the nerves around your fusion are still healing, and this is them getting angry (paradigm here) as they heal?

• Sorry to hear about the dizziness and bumping into things and nausea. I hope you're seeing the Neurosurgeon soon with these symptoms or if it happens again see your Dr. I hope you get a recent MRI for your cervical areal too. Thinking and praying for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • HI Jelly Hall,
    Sorry to hear you didn't get a more complete idea of what's happening....have to have them check the cervical for sure...glad the lumbar seemed ok, but then why would you have the pains at night? Do you try to find a different position? I get electtic jolts down my legs sometimes, and now and then, a slight change in how I'm laying helps...sometimes not...
    Here's hoping you get some answers and I'm sending positive thoughts your way in the mean time!
  • my physio didn't say anything about me getting an up to date MRI scan of my neck, but he is frustrated that the MRI scan being viewed is so old. I have pointed out to the neurosurgeon that the x-ray is now over 7 months old.

The neurosurgeon, when he wanted to see me in October, stated that he wanted to see an MRI scan of my complete spine at that time, along with flexion and extension x-rays. I am not aware that he will organise this for this appointment on 21st June, but I will leave it up to him.

I hope that once he has a complete picture of my symptoms (which he doesn't have at the moment) he will be in a position to judge what is necessary. He is the expert after all.

It is so helpful to be able to discuss things with my spiney friends. You have no idea of how helpful it is - actually you probably know exactly how helpful it is!! :D

Family and friends are bored with hearing about my spinal problems. I know that you will not mind me going on about it! Thank you all very much.

I am here for you all too, to listen (or read) and support you all I can (I'll always pray if you like too :-) )

• Hopefully your MRI's will all be updated soon. I know it must be frustrating, especially when symptoms change or increase.

Since things are moving up a bunch, maybe this will all come to fruition for you soon.

Bored? Nope, you'll never find that from us on this site!! :) *HUGZ*

• I have only just over a week to wait for my appointment with the neurosurgeon. I must be patient. I hope the appointment is not a let down, like some that I have had. I really need some answers to my questions, but perhaps he won't know them.

• Jellyhall,

I so agree! My last with my Neurologist, I thought after my NCS/EMG was done we would go over everything, but nope. I have to wait until July 1, and the EMG for the L2/3/4 isn't done yet! Grrr....

I will keep my fingers crossed that this will be a productive and informative appointment! You are already ahead of where you were originally, so take that as a good sign!! :)