Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

waiting to see Neurosurgeon on June 20th

thedreamertthedreamer Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, I am a new member here. I am 43 years old with a messy neck and lower back. My neck shows significant arthritic changes. my MRI indicates at c5-c6 loss of disc space and endplate osteophytes with bilateral foraminal narrowing with moderate spinal stenosis anterior and posterior to the cord. c6-c7 posterior disc osteophyte complex resulting in moderate spinal stenosis. \neural forminal narrowing more prominent on the left. my back show bulgy and protruding discs from L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1.

I am seeing a neurosurgeon on June 20th to see if I can get some relief from this pain, tingling, etc. Is there anything in particular I should ask for questions if surgery is recommended. Any other comments or suggestions

• welcome to Spine Health.

You have found a great place for information and support from people who are going through very similar problems to you, and hence, we understand.

I suggest that you search the information pages on cervical problems and various treatments. There is also a thread on questions to ask your surgeon, which will give you ideas.

I highly recommend that you prepare a list of questions to ask, as once we get in front of the surgeon, it is amazing how we forget what we intended to ask. Some people make two lists; one for if surgery is recommended and one for if conservative treatment is recommended.

Looking forward to getting to know you better. :H

• Thanks for the welcome and links to read. looking forward to getting to know you and others too!!

• I have a messy neck too! @)

On my MRI scan the only bit that the neurosurgeon was talking about was C3/C4 and C4/C5, where there was cord compression. The rest of my neck looked very untidy to me; it didn't even seemed to be lined up properly. After waiting 8 months for my appointment, it was very disappointing as I didn't get the answers that I had hoped for, and left with even more questions. There were 2 medical students present, and he was concentrating on talking to them and testing their knowledge, rather than talking to me!

I wrote to the consultant explaining my disappointment and after more than a month I still hadn't received a reply. I went to my GP, who was extremely sympathetic and she wrote to him too.
    Just this week, I have had a phone call from his secretary, and now have an appointment to see the consultant on 21st June.

I also have an appointment to see a different doctor on 20th June.

I really hope that I will get some answers at these appointments. I am rather afraid that my future may hold further surgery for me, which is not what I would choose.

I have a feeling that is how I am going to get rid of some of these symptoms and stop the awful cramping and whole leg spasms in both legs (at the same time).

Today I have been feeling unwell; nausious, dizzy, lightheaded and keep bumping into things. Does anyone else have these symptoms?

Sharon, I hope your consultation with the neurosurgeon will end with a plan to help you.

• I get lightheaded too and bump into things as well. Can't seem to make it through a doorway without clipping the side.

Am having quite a bit of shoulder/arm pain today and a headache.

I would have been very upset too with an appointment that I waited 8 months to get and have that kind of result.
    I hope that your upcoming appointments go well and you are on your way to feeling better soon.

Take care.

• I hope that your headache and shoulder and arm pain are feeling improved today. :-)

At work today (in a school), the head was concerned as to how much risk I may be in. Yesterday I had to stand between some boys who were trying to push another boy. These are 11 year olds who are quite big. It was only after the event that I thought I probably shouldn't have done it. The trouble is it is our instinct to do it.

The Head was talking about sending me home on sick leave until my appointment in 2 weeks time, when I can ask how much risk there is that I would suffer if I was jolted. I got quite upset! I am in much less pain than before my lumbar fusion and so find it hard to accept that there may be a risk to me. Tomorrow is my last day for this week, so hopefully they will let me work another week before my appointment. I must protect myself though!

Take care :-)

• Instincts do tell us to do some things that people in our condition might not fair so well doing if the unexpected happens..ie a jolt, shove etc. I know that I don't like thinking that I should limit myself in doing things as well.

On the bright side you have an employer that is concerned for your safety and well-being, that isn't always the case. If you have sick leave, it might be a good idea to utilize it if you think it is wise. I don't work right now for other reasons but think I would be more worse shape if I was. I am lucky in that respect.

Try and have a good day, sending good thoughts your way! :-)