Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF for one level, artificial disc for the 2nd level

cairoccairo Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just came from my neuro/spine surgeon and he is recommending an artificial disc at the 5-6level, which is right above my existing fusion, and then a fusion with plating at the 3-4level. He says this will give me more movement rather than having plates at the 3 levels 4-7. Has anyone had this done? My ins. co. considers the art. disc still to be experimental but my Dr. says it is not. Any advice on this? Thanks.

• It sounds strange to have such a mixture of approaches. Did he give you any more information of why this approach or the risks of this mixed approach? Is your surgery going to cover the C3-4, 4-5, 5-6 or is it a 4 level through 7? I would definitely suggest getting another opinion.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I had a fusion done 4yrs ago at the 6-7level so this surgery would be an art. disc(for more mobility) at the 5-6level and then a fusion at the 4-5level as both of these levels are causing me pain and weakness now.
  • Why dont he just put 2 artificial disc in? Might as well if he doing 1 rather then artificial disc and fusion. If 1 works out the other 1 should also do the job. I would think. I had artificial disc inlower back l4l5. But later was fused only to try to help the nerve damage from the surgery. I was told artificial disc is more for neck as my dr later told me. Not as much stress on the neck. Just make sure you have the best dr cause my dr caused nerve damage that i cant fix and will cause me pain for life time. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I recently had a two level disc replacement at my c4-5 an c5-6 no fusions ever from my research and I'm no doc fusions cause the discs above and below the fusion to degenerate faster and implants if you have good ones keep mobility and have some cushion to them so they take stress off ur other discs above and below my ins would not cover the surgery I paid for the surgery myself and it's been just over a week since my surgery and I feel great I was blessed with a great nerosurgeon and he did amazing work I would do it again if I had to do it over it was the beat choice for me and my injury and I think implants vs fusion anyday but that's my opinion hope this helps take care
  • I found out my spinal cord is too compromised at the 4-5 level so I need to have a fusion done there but at least the art. disc can be used at the 5-6 level so I am hoping for decent mobility and as good an outcome as my previous surgery/fusion.