Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI Report

I am a new member of this forum. I am 25/F. I have been having lower back pain since 1year and been doing regular exercises and managing. for the past 1 week , pain is severe and radiating to both my legs (previously only left leg for about 6 months time)that i feel so weak to walk even for 10 min :( I went for an MRI. I need some help in understanding my MRI report before I meet my Neurosurgeon tomorrow.

Report says :
"Central - para Central disc bulge (L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1) noted causing anterior thecal sac indentation and bilateral neural foraminae narrowing with significant compression of exiting nerve roots"

1) What does this "anterior thecal sac indentation and bilateral neural foraminae narrowing " mean?
2) Is surgery the only way for cure? :( I am so scared about this .
3) What are all the questions that I should ask my neurosurgeon ?

Petrified :(

• First off, Welcome to Spine Health!!

We are not allowed to interpolate another members MRI, as none of us are doctors. I can answer some of your basic questions though, but your NS will need to decide based on exams and other diagnostics what your status is?

Anterior (means front) of the thecal sac (membrane protecting your cord). The thecal sac is being modified (indented) but no mention of nerve or cord affect.

"foraminae narrowing with significant compression of exiting nerve roots"

The foramina is the opening on either side of the spine where the nerves exit. A lot of things can cause narrowing, but again, regardless of the MRI is "are you symptomatic" at that level? We can have good or bad MRI's and no problems, or all kinds of problems.

Since you are seeing your NS tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to apply what is going on with you with your tests. Please let us know how it goes. Again, welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.