Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondylolisthesis Reductions surgury

rob_45carrob_45ca Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to this site and would love to talk to someone that has had Spondylolisthesis Reductions surgury. I have had pain since I was 20 and am 55 now. The pain is now a problem to manage. I now have other problem from the slippage. I am looking at going to the USA for this type of surgury, as I can find no Doctor here in Ontario, Canada that is doing it yet. I have only found it being done in US and Germany. I hope to hear form someone soon.
Thanks
Rob
advertisement

Comments

• I would be interested in the procedure you are referring to. I originally had stage 3 spondy and that was one of the determining test results in terms of deciding on fusion surgery. I will be following this thread with interest. Hope all goes well for you.

• I have not heard of the procedure but would be interested in learning more. Good luck.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had a fusion for lumbar spondylolisthesis. I have very lax ligaments and tendons so over time I've had to expand the fusion (my case is rare). The only way to reduce a spondolysthesis is to pull it into position and fuse it to the level above or below as far as I'm aware. Without fixating it in some way it can just slip again.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • That is what I had for mine - fusions. Like you I am unaware of any other way to fix it.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Ya it is alittle new in US has been done in Germany and Yes it takes hard ware. I have been unable to find anyone here in Canada that is doing it. I have always refused surgury waiting for something I would beleave would work good and I like the sounds of this reduction. You would not weld a car part out of place and think it will be ok, would you? I have been told since I was 20 I needed surgury, I am now 55 and am to the point that something needs to be done. You should google it if you never heard of it. I was in hopes to find some one that has had it.
    Good luck to you all
  • From everything I read if over corrected/aligned it can cause fusion failure (no growth) with severe stress on hardware, fusion fracture, or neurological issues re the nerve roots. It's case by case but oddly the journals state cases of stage 3 being aligned by 50% while stage 2 is usually aligned to a much lesser degree. Just like a scoli fusion correct it too much and it can be trouble. Again, what I have read in online med journals.
  • I have never seen that in what I have looked at, but would love to read this one. Can you direct me to the site or give a link for me Please.
    Thanks for the info
  • This is a bit off topic, but I don't know where else to post it and still have it viewed.

I have been diagnosed with a Grade I spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1. It was discovered while seeking treatment for a herniated disc at L4-L5.

I'm about 2.5 months out of a microdiscectomy to treat the disc, and I'm still having pain in the same dermatonal pattern. The pain is aggrevated by standing after sitting, flexing my back (leaning forward), and doing the straight leg raise.

My doctor suggested that I could possibly still have the leg pain due to the spondylolisthesis. I've read that neurological pain from spondy is generally aggrevated by leaning backwards and that flexing the spine helps ease the pain.

I'm curious what some of you folks are experiencing aggrevates your symptoms. I'm in denial that the spondy is causing the leg pain since it seems a lot harder to heal.

Thanks guys.
  • Hi

I have just had a redo of a fusion for spondylolisthesis. One of the causes for the fusion failing, my revision surgeon told me, was that the correction of the slippage at the first surgery at my age created too much tension at the fusion interface. Other contributory factors were that the interdisc space wasn't prepared well and the cages too small.

With the fix, the vertebrae were allowed to go back to their natural (for me) aligment and the surgeon decompressed the nerves that were being pulled on. This has taken care of the pain and I do feel better.
advertisement