Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flipping voice on "tilt" mode again for no reason!

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
As some of you know, 5 months post op on my last fusion, my C6 vertebra cracked and I started having problems with "in and out" on my voice. Upon going to my ENT, he felt my hardware was moving. Once I showed him my (at that time) month old x-rays, he modified it to hardware moving due to the C6 vertebra movement. This caused my vocal cords to swell and "bow", and as such affect speech, and at times letting liquids go down the wrong tube if you will!!

Okay, he put me on a steroid pack to see if that brought my voice under control - it did. Once the steroids wore off, the voice started varying based on strain of activities.

Okay, I retired shortly after that, and I found that if I avoided certain positions with my head, and didn't strain my voice, I could almost have a normal voice. If I look even slightly left, or down slightly left, I feel like I have some goobers big thumb pushing on my throat.

Yesterday my voice took a dump again, and for no real reason that I can think of (maybe I slept wrong?). I sound like I have a megga cold, and if I move my head as described above, "what voice" is the result. This ticks me off to no level.

I am going to give this a week and a half, and if it continues, I am going back to my ENT so he can tie in with my surgeon. My surgeon blew off the crack in that it would "self resolve"....well I'm 17 months past when this crap first started, so I am going to take an uneducated guess it didn't "self resolve" at all! I figure too a "peer to peer" between my ENT and the Neurology side of the house will carry more weight than just little ole me! The choke outs have never left, but in the last few weeks they are almost constant! If I use my house phone (normal head position for a phone?) I cough my head off, on my cell, not so bad. I've played with different positions, and it is still definitely a positional situation as it was in the past. Man O man O, this gets old!

Anyways, thanks for listening....My fat vocal cords are back! :(

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Hey Brenda! You have given me great advice every time and told me to contact my doctor sooner than later. I'm going to give you the same back. Don't wait a week and a half! You've been suffering for too long with your voice. Have someone look into this soon.

I really hope you can find a solution! Please let us know what the ENT says. Hugs!!! >:D<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Howdy Lili,

The reason for waiting a week to a week and a half (per my last ENT visit) is to rule out a cold starting (which I doubt is going on), or sinus drain causing irritation.

The good thing [if you can call it good right] is I know they are going to have to redo my neck - that would fix the whole shabang right there. I see my Neurologist in just under 3 weeks where he's going to finish the upper portion of my legs EMG, and too go over everything to this point to mark the game plan. Since all the neck testing is done, I should know for sure on my neck status there. I'm hoping to hold off on the back, so not pushing there. (G)

The good thing with the ENT I use. I can usually get in with him in like 2 days, so if my voice changes much more without any other external symptoms (allergies/cold) I will call him instead of waiting.

• I hope that your voice will settle down on its own accord. You have plenty going on without that being added!

Feel better soon. :-)

• Thanks Jellyhall, I'm hoping the same. The good part is there isn't any new pain or nerve issues noticed. It's kind of funny, the last time I was scoped my doctor showed me my vocal cords on the monitor, and swollen that they were, I didn't have a sore throat! I guess its the lining in our throats that has to be irritated to hurt?

I've limited my talking today - no phone chats, no yelling at my dogs or talking to my fur kids. I still sound like I have a cold, but we'll see. :)

• Hope the problem gets resolved soon! :-)

• Charlie,

Thanks much, me too! :)

• I've had surgery on my vocal chords. Now, my voice has always been deep (for a woman), and I use to sing so that does affect it too, but since my neck issues my voice has gotten even deeper. The mens use to say that I had a sexy voice, but when I answer the phone sometimes now I get called sir!!, and that is unacceptable-lol. After my last vocal chord surgery, my ENT told me that if I followed all of his direction that I should have my voice back, and one of his orders were that I could not talk, not even whisper (which is worse than talking on the chords) for ten days. I followed his direction but my voice is still pretty deep-not manly-though once in a while like I said I do get mistaken on the phone, though it's not that often. I notice that if I straighten my neck in really great posture that my voice is usually clearer.. but not always..

Good on you getting your Drs together on this. It's almost ironic how important a role communication is in all of this.
  • Sorry this is going on...you have enough on your plate right now. Never wanna wish a cold on someone, but hope that in this case you have one.

Great that you are going to see your ENT and get them to discuss with your surgeon.

I too hope this resolves soon.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I think that you know your body better than anyone else and suspect that it's coming from the fracture. Hang in there and please keep us posted! Let's hope that it is due to a cold! :)

2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Robin,

Lol!! I am laughing with you, not at you. I too have always had a deep voice. When flying and contacting ATC, I would get "Roger Life Guard 1612, radar contact sir." Same with the telephone. I got tired of saying "I'm a *SHE* not a *HE*. After my cords got screwed up with my fusion going bad, it's even deeper when it works!

My plan of not talking today got nixed, but in this instance I didn't mind. A former student of mine that I trained to get him his Instrument Instructor rating and Multi-Engine Airline Transport license called. He started a jet charter business a few years ago that caters to the elite. He needs a partner and Director of Operations and has offered me the position!! 90% of it (as he knows my medical issues) I can do from home, otherwise the airport this is based out of is 40 minutes away most days. We're going to meet for lunch in a week and a half and go over his business and see if this can work. Wasn't even looking for work...

Funny how that works out. If you're working or retired and not looking, they come to you. If you're out of work and looking, they don't want you! Interesting...(G) The salary plus my retirement, I would be almost as I was financially when I was before I retired! Whoohooo! :)

Karen, Lili,

I hope it's a cold too, but my little brain doesn't think it is. This crap goes in phases (like flares), so hopefully it will back down. Gonna give it that 'waiting' time just to be sure, but Lili, yeah (nodding) I internally feel the fracture that never resolved is still allowing movement. I just wish I could figure out what the hell I did this time! Usually I can figure it out - laughing too hard, yelling to my hubby across the back yard (an acre and a half), talking too much etc. None of those happened this time. Shrug. What do we all say at one time or another? "If it's not one thing, it's another?" (G) Thanks ladies!! *HUGZ*

Karen, yes I try to keep the main players involved in where I am at, so when I go to my various doctors (Neuro, NS, GP, ENT in this instance) with my most recent medical records and diagnostics along with the CD's for them to see for themselves vs a report. I figure communications are more open this way, and all know what my status is.