Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why me

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Up until 1993 I was a healthy young man. I danced, traveled, did walking tours, etc. From then on, it was downhill.

Dealing with the pain has become an occupation in itself. I have read almost everything written and listened to many "experts".

The only ones that seem to make sense are those who have gone through some of the pain that I have.

One of my doctors resorted to a pain pill, without testing it on me, that had me dead on the table. His excuse, "I've given this to 25,000 patients and never had a problem."

Now, before taking something new, I read. (Large print, please)

I am now in my middle 70's. I had to give up dancing unless I take double pain pills and then the wife says I'm no fun.

I travel in a scooter which does make the travel better. I cruise as often as the bank account allows. The doctors work around my schedule.

I'm in this Forum as per my New Doctors request. Seems like the place to be.

• Over the years I have had pain in the arms. I was operated on for carpal tunnel in the left arm and now have pain near the shoulder. Would appreciate anyone that has that.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Welcome to Spine Health Forums!

How very forward thinking of your physician to reccomend that you get invovled in a forum such as this.

Many us of find a place to do a little crabbing and complain - building up and supporting - and providing information about our potentially similar experiences.

Sorry to hear about your initial pain management experience! Wow!

Just wanted to say Welcome and hello!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    It will serve you better justice if you can provide us with more information about yourself.

- The medication situation, when it started
    - What diagnostic tests have been done and the results
    - Medications you have been on or currently on
    - Treatments you have been receiving
    - Doctors suggestions

There is always an element of natural aging. Heck, I can no longer do the things I did when I was 30, 40 or even 50, forget about any spinal situations.

I know a gentleman, in his late 70's. He was an avid salsa dancer. Because a combination of his spinal problems and age, he had to limit that type of dancing.
    He recently, stopped most of his active dancing and had now started teaching the dance. For him, even though he misses the dance, he has more fulfillment teaching others what he loved.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

On Monday, August 3, 1998 I felt strong pains radiating from my lower back down my left leg. I went to the walk in emergency clinic at Rhode Island Hospital. Dr. ABC saw me. He seemed to think it was a form of sciatica. He recommended I see a neuron surgeon. He gave me four doctors to contact. The only one that would see me right away was Dr. ABC. Before I left, Dr. ABC gave me two prescriptions. One was a painkiller and the other a muscle relaxer.

On Tuesday, August 4, 1998 I saw Dr. ABC He examined me and said there could be a number of problems, from a pinched nerve to sciatica. I told him about the other operations that I had on my back. I told him that I had an appointment with my New York Doctor, (Dr. ABC). He suggested that I continue with my New York Doctor, but if it got worse to contact him. At this time, the pain was 4/10.

On Monday, August 17, 1998, I went to see Dr. ABC. He took a few x-rays of the bottom of my spine and said the pain was caused by my age and arthritis. He gave me ARTHROTEC75 and made another appointment in two weeks. Pain still 4/10. I was able to move around using a cane.

On Tuesday, August 18, 1998 I returned to Rhode Island.

On Wednesday, August 19, the pain got worse. Difficulty walking, even with the help of the cane. I kept taking the medicine that ABC gave me.

On Thursday, August 20, the pain was so bad that I was unable to sit, walk, or lie down. At midnight the pain was so bad I cried. Nothing I did helped.

About 11:30 P.M. on August 220 1998, I could not ease the pain and Sandy drove me to the emergency room at Rhode Island Hospital. The spasms were 10/10.

I was admitted at 0010, August 21. 1998. After being admitted to Rhode Island Hospital Emergency Room the doctor tried to explain to me that the medication that would stop the spasms would hide the problem. They would not be able to detect what was wrong. Dr. ABC examined me in the Emergency room. He ordered ROBAXIN 1 MG, TORADOL 30 MG IV. CARAFATE 1 MG, VALIUM 5 MG, DEMEROL 50 MG AND VISTARIL 50 MG AND MORPHINE.

At 0230 was able to eat a snack
    At 0340 The medication eased the spasms. It took over 30 minutes for the pain to ease up.
    At 0400 was given TORADOL 30 MG IV. VALIUM AND ROBAXIN
    At 0450 was able to move my left leg with only slight pain.
    At 0400 Pain started again.
    At 0515 The pain became a 7/10
    At 0530 Was given ME 2 ROBAXIN, 1 GR EACH AND TORADOL 30 MG IV, AND 100 MG DEMORAL. was examined by a neurosurgeon, Dr. Sunorian. He said he would be meeting with the others in his group to make a decision. He discussed with me about checking out and to try to get an appointment as an outpatient so that I could get the MRI faster. Then I should make an appointment with Dr. ABC and discuss implant to control the pain medication.
    At 0740 was given 30 MG TORADOL AND 125 GR DEMORAL IV.
    At 0800, the pain returned to 5/10.
    At 0810 was given 5MG VALIUM AND 1 GM ROBAXIN, 100 MG DEMEROL IV. Shortly after that, the sharp pain was reduced.
    By 0830, it felt a little better.
    By 0900 only the knee hurt, was given 5 MG VALIUM AND 1 GM CARAFATE.
    At 1000 was given 1 GM CARAFATE. Was examined by Dr. ABC. The ER doctor. He felt that I should be admitted because the medicines were not controlling the pain. He recommended that I be given a MRI because the medicine was not controlling the pain.
    At 1000 was moved to the sixth floor. Dr. ABC dropped to see how I was.
    At 4:00 P.M. was given 5 MG VALIUM AND ROBAXIN.
    At 5:00 P/M/ was given CARAFATE.. Pain still there bnut not the spasms.
    At 8:00 P.M. was given 100 DEMERAOL IV.
    At 8:30 pain started to ease
    At 9:00 P.M. Given 5 MG VALIUM AND ROBAXIN.
    At 10:00 P.M. was given CARAFATE 1 GM

At 0115 On Sunday morning they gave me pills to put me to sleep so I could get my MRI.
    At 0130 MRI taken. Mri shows spinal canal stenosis with neuroforaminal stenois at L4 and L5 with lateral disc herniation L4/5 on the left side.
    0800 was discharged by Dr. ABC with the understanding that Surgery would take place Friday, August 28. Gave me three prescriptions for pain and muscle relaxer.

On August 22, 1998 I went to Dr. ABC office for Pre-op examination. He explained in detail what is wrong and how he plans to correct it.

He discussed the scar tissue from my prior surgery (lumbar spinal 11/14/95) and explained that it would affect the outcome. He will try to remove some of that tissue. The operation is called a LAMINECTOMY AND DISCHERNIATION. He expects the operation to last about two hours with recovery in three. He will be working on L4 and L5.

August 27, 1998 went to Rhode Island Hospital for Pre-op. Blood, Urine and Chest X-ray.

August 28, 1998. Admitted to Rhode Island Hospital for a LUMBAR LAMINOTOMY/DISCECTOMY performed by Dr. ABC Procedure – FAR LATERAL DISC REMOVAL AT L4-5. (MICRODISECTOMY)

Post edited to remove specific doctor names. Please refer to Forum Rules prior to making posts like this one.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator, 06/09/11
  • Sorry about your situation. Have you had any other surgery sense 1998? Or its just been down hill after the surgery? I am sure being in your 70"s surgery would be more complicated so hopefully you wont need it. Some of us started much younger with spine issues such as myself at around the age of 29 and i am 50 now. Never easy to deal with pain of any kind at any age. But sounds like you lived a prety active life. My girlfriend loves dancing when we go to weddings and such especialy salsa being hispanic and all. Usualy tries do drag me out there but no way with my bad back. I might be good for a few slow dance is about it.

Last time i tried to bust a move they had to drag me out from under the bar on a stretcher lol. Alcohol can make even a spiney think he can dance. , Ps. Welcome, Alex
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I understand that they are going to give me another shot of cortisone in the back next week. If that doesn't work then they will open the back and scrape some of the scar tissue away. That usually works for 5 to 10 years of NO PAIN. Enough said.
  • i am sure that theres not a one of us on here that have not said why me on more than one occasion .for me it all started after a car crash at the young age of 30 ,i have been in pain ever since and my life has gone down hill {lost job/first wife/social.life/and and and !!!} after 2 failed operations i am now waiting ..and have been for many months for a fusion {ALIF.} so my friend you are in good company here !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • They thought that the greatest thing for my kind of pain, and the only thing that would work, is to give me Oxycontin. By the third pill I was taken to the hospital and died on the table. Afterwords I questioned the issuing doctor. His reply? "I don't know, I've given this pill to over 12,000 patients without any aftereffects" Never mentioned what the pill does to the GI trac,or how much money he made.

Now they tell me that the pain in my arm is cause by the neck fusions not holding after 10 years.

They have convince me to go for the fourth cortisone shot for the back. If this one doesn't work, they will open my spine and remove the scar tissue. The couldn't do it two years ago since I haven't gone thru the system.

I even finished the "PAIN clinic". What is it, you ask. They teach you how to breath so you won't think about the pain. No comment is necessary.

Keep in touch. Good luck on he operation. I understand it is not as disabling as it was. I wore a collar for three weeks but had no pain. To get rid of the pain I would have done anything.
  • You talked about having trouble with the morphine pump. What went wrong. They are talking about that for me if all else fails since I would need less pain meds than I take now. Nuorontin does not have the side effects that they advertise. I took it for over 4 years and am still going strong.