Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal injection question

thedreamertthedreamer Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi, I have moderate spinal stenosis in the c5-c6, c6-c7 area of my neck because of bone spurs. I have a neurosurgeon appointment on june 20th. Do they always recommend spinal injections before surgery. I know people that have had those injections, my sister being one, and didn't help at all. Not that I want to jump into surgery, but I have has physio for my neck three times in the last 10 years and things have progressed anyways. just was wondering of the experiences of those who post in this forum. thanks so much and have a good day.

• told me that he wanted to do injections before spinal fusion surgery. I had the injection (did not work for me but thats just me) I cant have the surgery cause i smoke.
  • Hi Sharon. I just wanted to comment to let you know that though I am not pro-injection, I have had my share of several types of injections, including but not limited to ESIs, TPIs, and C2 RF(s). Sometimes they help and other times .. not so much. Because they can be a little uncomfortable and there are risks involved, I always weigh the risks vs benefits, but there have been a few times in all honesty when I felt that I didn't have a choice in the matter, and that if I did not go along w/my Drs plan for yet another/more injections that I would be seen as non-compliant, therefore be in breach of the contract that I had signed. I do feel that I am not alone in this predicament, and that many people might feel uncomfortable in discussing this in an open forum. In any event, for the most part I have not found the injections to be worth their cost and/or the risks/side effects involved outside of the one time that I had an ESI in my left hip, and I will say that that one was very much a success. We are all so different though, and what works for one may not for the next and vice~versa.

You can read all about the different types of injections here; http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections

I always suggest futher research on the risks & side effects of these injections and their prolonged use.
  • I have had many injections. Seems they always want to try them before surgery. I have never had any luck with them. I have had 3 fusions so have been thru a lot of injections before the actual surgery and I always dread them because they just don't work for me. They are expensive but its kind of a pre-requisite to make sure all avenues have been explored.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Thanks for the input to my question. I appreciate sharing your stories. Have a great day. Sharon
  • Sharon,
    I have had three epidurals in my time with varying success the only way to find out if it will help you as any individual, is to give it a try if this is recommended. It may well be the next progressive stage of treatment and less invasive than surgery. For me it did not take all the pain away only those higher order numbers, one might suggest that it is only an interim process and only forestall any potential surgery in the future masking the pain for a limited period.

As has been mentioned, for some it is less effective and I would have had no hesitation is having another had that proved necessary, with chronic pain it is important to progress one step at a time and not accept the next stage until the current process has been fully evaluated over time and experience.

Most medical recommendations are given on the basis that they intend to give some relief, even if this proves not to be our reality managing pain may be our only option and some empowerment of our own treatment.

Take care and good luck

• :S Hi,I am new here,my fiance has had injections for back pain,the last injection was steroids which she was not supposed to receive,anyhow. Now she has blueness around her ankles,very weak,swelling all over,pale,circles under the eyes,hot flashes sweating,anxiety,sleepless,the pain,she says is even worse now,headaches,and frightened. Is this normal? Does anyone else seem to have similar side effects,if so...please respond. Thanks.....
  • I dont know anyone who has such bad side affect from steroid injection. If she is alergic to the steroid i would think dr would have to treat her right away to help flush it out or something to help untill the medication wears off. If she should have never had steroids why did the dr inject her with it if he was aware of it? If she gets real bad where it can be something serious i would not hesitate to take her to er if needed. Thats not normal,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thank you very much for the response.She was not told that she was steroid injected until 2 days after. If symptoms does not improve really fast,I will do as you recommend. Many thanks again.....
  • Those are side effects which warrant a call to the doctor immediately.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Cindi0906CCindi0906 Posts: 6
    edited 09/13/2015 - 7:36 PM
    I urge everyone I know NOT to have the injectios. I had several (sbout 6 over a couple of years). Thje last one left me paralyzed from arms down. That was 9 months ago. I had to learm to stand, walk, everything. I am in constant pain. My left side of my body is still numb and my left foot feels like a brick. I can't use my left hand for much of anything. It has been a devasting life changing event. I don't think my body will ever be the same. Anyone out there suffering from an injury at c4? I really want to know if I can expect anymore improvement or is this it. Drs really wont say :(

While it was very unfortunate to have the negative results from the ESI. But please keep in mind, ESI's are done so very frequently, the chances of what happened to you is very slim. You can read all the statistics about ESIs, the risks, etc and your situation is so very rare. But this should never prevent any member from deciding to or not have a ESI based on your experience.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/14/15