Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Lumbar Microdiscectomy

philcrispopphilcrispo Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I am a 48 year male, was once very fit no not so, under went a L.L. Microdiscetomy EIGHT days ago.

Since release from hospital, post operative days ONE thru 8 seems to be getting worse with regards, level of pain, mobiliity and range of motion.

Is this a common side effect and symtom of this procedure or have I in some way made this worse.

I can gain relief from lying flat on my back or on my side.

I can also gain relief from standing. Walking while in hospital was easier than now so I am a little concerned or worried I have done something wrong or the procedure did not work.

For my Sanity, I welcome some thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc.

Many thanks...............Phil

• Hi there,
    have just read your post and wanted to let you know that i also underwent a microdisectomy nearly 5 weeks ago. I still have pain in my left leg which seems worse now than before op.I too feel better lying flat on my back or on my side which i alternate and walking for me was better when i was in hospital. I too get worried and also frustrated as i expected to be seeing some sort of improvement by now. On saying that though my surgeon has said that i cannot go to work for 6 weeks. i think that i am learning that you just have to be patient and that things will improve as time goes on.i am a 49 year female and have always been quite active and impatient but just have to take things slowly and one day at a time. I do a little walking each day for exercise but am going to see docs in week to see if PT will help as no one has mentioned this to me. Good luck be patient as all takes time
  • I also had a disectomy about 7 weeks ago. My surgeon would only allow me to walk for the first 6 weeks. I started out very slow and did multiple short walks. The first 3 weeks were not pleasant and very painful. I was so heavily medicated presurgery and post it was difficult to decide if I was better or not?

I gradually increased to walking about 5 miles a day. I am out 7 weeks now. I started PT, pool therapy, and continue walking. This takes me about 4 hours a day.

My first visit back to the surgeon at 6 weeks I was cleared for PT and driving. What a difference this made. I will not be cleared to start back to work until I have 6 weeks of PT in.

It seems fairly conservative but the surgeon was adamant with the extent of my herniation, the difficulty of surgery, and my work schedule this was necessary.

Good luck and it always takes longer then we want. Hopefully things will continue to improve stay patient. Make sure to let your Doc know any concerns.