Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More surgery to come, cervical laminectomy

lbritt64llbritt64 Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
My DR told me on Thu I need a cervical laminectomy on C2,C3,C4,C5,C6 & C7. He told me he would give me a rest since I had been through so much in the last 10 months. He wants to see me at the end of Aug. Anyone else have a 6 level laminectomy on there cervical. He told me I would not need more hardware. He also said people say the neck never feels normal after that type of surgery. I know I have more going on with my compressed nerves and this would help me but I'm wanting to hear others that had this done in there cervical. Thanks Larry.

• I have not had the procedure that your doctor is recommending, but I am praying for you and wishing you a pain free outcome.
  • Hope you have a speedy and painless recovery. My prayers are with you also.
  • wow, that is a chunk of vertebrae, which will significantly decrease mobility in your neck. i would imagine you would have to put lots and lots of thought in to this decision. that's pretty much your whole neck.although it's likely not of any consolation, it sounds like a 5 level fusion, not 6 (C2/3 - C6/7). 5 doesn't sound as frightening as 6. lol. (yah right)one good thing, perhaps is that there are people who have had severe scoliosis corrections and have lots of vertebrae fused and seem to do well. good luck with whatever you do.
  • Before I would go ahead with that procedure I would get multiple opinions on it. For one I question doing a lami on levels that have already been fused, especially needing a lami on fused levels 4 months post fusion. Typically they do a lami, first then fusion, that seems to be working the opposite way. I am also concerned the surgeon says people with that surgery have poor outcomes. Makes me wonder why he/she would be doing a procedure with poor outcomes. It is true that any surgery has the risk to make you worse not better, but to state that from the get go makes me a wee bit nervous.

Are you fused at the fused levels in your cervical spine? I wouldn't let anyone be messing with it till a fusion is solid. I would be shocked any surgeon would be willing to do it either, as the outcome could be far worse.
  • well when they first did the mri's he said I was looking at 2 or 3 surgeries. My DR is one of the best in our tri state area he is also a professor at Marshall U the nearby college. I have trust in him. my fusion was C5-6 and C6-7. I know it will only get worse in time. Doing a laminecotmy on C2-C7 is 6 vertebrae and I worry on that many but the mri does show cord compression in those area's.

Well while I was on sick leave at my place of work they termination my ins and employment without any warning I may gewt a lawyer to look over that cause it was not right to do me that way. I worked at a mission A part of the Catholic Diocese of Lexington, KY which was supposed to help people and they did that to me. I don't really want to get a lawyer but to be fair I think I will.