Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion 3 weeks ago, just felt a "pop"

Lauracl22LLauracl22 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
5 level fusion t9-l2 on 5-20-11 due to an unstable compression fracture. They used screws and rods for the fusion, and a wire to tie the fractured vertebrae together. I was just having an insanely difficult bm and was in a lot of pain in the abdominal area from needing to get it out. I strained *hard* (I know I shouldn't have) and felt a "pop" in my back. I didn't feel any pain when I felt the pop but as you can imagine, I'm terrified that I did something to the fusion site. Perhaps I busted the wire? I really have no idea. Unfortunately it is Saturday night so I can't talk to anybody at my surgeons office until Monday.

Has anybody experienced this? Any advice? I'm really scared that I messed something up. Any help / advice / support is appreciated

• Chances are you havent done anything bad to the area. Every once in a while right after surgery, I had a weird pop or crack sound. What was really weird feeling was stretching when I first woke up in the morning.

To be on the safe side, call your doc Monday and let them know what you did.

BTW - after surgery EVERYONE pretty much strains due to the constipation caused from pain medications. I was popping constipation medicine left and right and still had a horrible time.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you for your quick response, Keith. I feel a little better now. I will definitely call the doc first thing Monday morning and let them know what happened. Of course, now I feel "weird" at a certain spot in my back and feel some weird pain but I'm 75% sure it is psychosomatic (I have a strong imagination lol).

I'll keep everyone posted. Any other experiences with large pops is appreciated!

• although it's scary, unless you're writhing in pain, i'm thinking that it might not be something to worry about. i would talk to your doctor next week if it still worries you. two days after i had my lumbar fusion i plopped myself down on a chair and it jammed my spine to the point where i felt i went bone on bone. although it hurt like hell, the pain wasn't increased to an excruciating leve so i assumed everything was alright. i have also strained during BM and some "cracking" i've been told about was just coming from a stretching of the scar tissue in the general area.
  • HI,
    I recently had a re-do of a cervical fusion anterior and posterior on C5-C7...3 weeks post op, while putting on a bathrobe, as I moved my arm back, I also had a LOUD pop, followed by tingling in arms and hands, with a line of pain from my neck to behind the shoulder blade on the same side as the pop. After seeing the dr. last week, he said it was probably my body rearranging as things have to be moved for surgery. All has been ok since...no more popping, but I have to say, it scared me to death!
    Hopefully, your body was rearranging too...but be sure to ask the doc! Hang in there...