Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery after back surgery

angler1960aangler1960 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i had a left L5/S1 Decrompression and Microdisectomy and L+ L5 Decrompresion nearly 5 weeks ago. I still have a lot of pain in my left leg and some pain in my back. I walk about but cant manage this for too long without having to sit,lie down. I just wondered whether this is normal?I thought maybe i should be feeling less pain now. I am concerned about how long it will be before i can return to work as i really do need to, only work part time ,am single parent so is a must i have to return asap.

• Depends on how bad the herniations were, whether there were tears, how badly nerves were impinged. Add to that what shape you are in, your age, etc.

After a microd at L5-S1 I felt better after 2 weeks. Not better, as in, go to work and return to my life. Better as in it didn't hurt bad all the time. I returned to work by working from home on my back with my laptop after 4 weeks. By 6 weeks I was in PT and walking a lot. My recovery went well. I still had some numbness in my foot and some leg and hip pain. That takes a very long time for the nerves to heal after.

Your return to work is dictated by your surgeon and how well he feels you are healing. After a microd you have to be very careful. The re-injury rate is high enough that you need to be careful about pushing and protect your back at all costs. I can appreciate you being a single parent. That has to be tough. Just be really careful about B,L,T. Don't mess it up.