Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will a cervical MRI look different if the pain is "flared" up?

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a small disc protrusion that gives me a lot of pain. The pain comes in cycles. Would the mri look different if it was taken when I wasn't in as much pain? For example would it bulge less?
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• but a consultant radiologist can differentiate between healthy and unhealthy tissue .to get an accurate diagnosis it may take more than an MRI scan to get the full picture .an MRI scan is another tool that the consultants use YOU are the best judge of your own pain and flare ups .if you feel like your pain is getting worse then you should seek medical advice
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

• I can't be sure, but what I can tell you is my experience.

Just before my lumbar MRI, I started to feel very much better. I was sure that they would tell me that the problem had gone and there was nothing to see that could be causing my pain.

Well I was wrong. They found that my problem was more serious than they had thought from the x-ray. I had severe stenosis, both centrally and laterally. They told me that I was going to need surgery. I couldn't believe the bad news and told them as I was feeling so much better, I would continue as I was thank you very much. :-)

Within 6 months I was back in awful pain again, and had surgery within a few weeks.

One thing I have found (heard, not through experience), is that sometimes a disc bulge can pull back again and the pain is relieved.

• Hi
    I'm new to this forum also and have the same question.

I would also like the answer to that question. In 2008 I had such severe neck pain I was hunched over and couldn;t raise my arms. I did some Physio, Chiro with gentle neck traction. The Ortho ordered an MRI but it takes a long time in Canada to obtain an MRI. I did finally pay for it myself. But my neck was feeling not to bad at the time. MRI did show broad based disk protusion but was not impinging the nerve. although this time I think the disk is pinching a nerve very badly because of the symptoms. pain numbness and tingling.

since then I have had recurring incidences of excrutiating neck pain. For the past 6 months it has gotten worse. My Xray shows Cervical Kyphosis and DDD.

The doctor has ordered another MRI, but it could take a bit. although this time my neck pain is not subsiding and my left arm is in very bad pain. Im hoping I can get the MRI when I am at my worst pain level.

C4/5 and C5/6 DDD

• My guess, unless your flare is due to inflammation (tissue), the MRI will pretty much show your disk status as is.

Personally (as I am one that small hernias kill me pain wise) I try to get positional MRI's. The reason? I am sitting getting my cervical scanned, and as such, I am loading the vertebra, and thus my doctor sees my spine "under load", and in the position that it hurts. Recumbent MRI's (the lay down ones) have missed issues on me, so I am big on the positional MRI. The image quality is on par with the recumbent MRI - though some doctors (My present Neurologist for example) they feel the positional MRI isn't as good in the scan images!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.