Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2weeks post microdiscectomy I get out of bed and my back locks up help?

Jml94777JJml94777 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
Had 1st surgery on lower back June 1 and have been resting and taking pretty good care of it. I sat at work for 8 hours with breaks every hour Friday and when I got home and got out of car I stood up and my back locked up making my leg and back in excruciating stiff pain. After I walk or push my back in where the incision is it doesn't hurt anymore. But it's reoccurring most times I get up. Did I reherniate it? Need input please....

• Hi there , I'm sorry to hear you still have to deal with the pain but two weeks is still pretty early . Sounds like your muscles are doing their job of trying to prevent further damage by spasms occurring. Remember you had an assault on your body and you will have a while to heal. Do the usual ice / heat , stretches and mindfulness of movement and if it still is troubling you go to your dr. Leg pain can occur if muscles spasm and affect the nerves . Hope it settles down soon . Take care - chelle
  • Michelle thank you for the feedback I appreciate it. I hope this has happened to other people in the healing process.
  • I had a microdiscectomy on 1st June, initially had no pain, however had loss of sensation and numbness down the back of my left leg and left foot. I am struggling with pain at night even though on copious amounts of ant inflammatories and opiates. I am due back at work in a few weeks as a regional director in nursing, as I work in the private sector most of my job involves hundreds of miles of driving.
    I was told I had Calder equine syndrome, and that swift surgical intervention was needed to avoid long term nerve damage.
    I was initially admitted on 17th February however due to being ignored when I complained about the pain on my injection site where they were administering morphine, I developed cellulitus, which in turn developed into an abscess necessitating surgical intervention 4 times in 6 days. I was then so full of infection, A vacupump was attached to my arm to suck out the phus. Due to the infection I stayed in hospital for nearly 2 months and was the discharged in order to recover which took another 6 weeks and visits every 2 days from the orthopaedic outreach nurses! So my operation didn't take place until June 1st.
    I'm I'm worried that due to the delay, I may now have long term nerve damage, linked with the fact that I'm diabetic, this has serious long term consequences! Has anyone had any similar experiences?
  • Forgot to say my microdiscectomy was L5 / S1
  • Nevr had those symptoms sorry...
This discussion has been closed.