Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks after Lower microdiscectomy back stiffens up when I get up

Jml94777JJml94777 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Please help...had lower microdiscectomy surgery June 1. I sat at work for 8 hours Friday with breaks every hour. When I got home I got out of car and my back stiffens up and I can barely walk than it pops back after 10 seconds when move and there is no pain. Did I reherniate it? It reoccures every time I lie down and get up now it happens.

• Hey there... I would contact your doctor.
    It sounds like you are having issues near the end of the day. I'm no expert but if it comes and goes, could it be you are having some 'joint' issues where your hips or something are 'locking up'?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing getting up frequently at work. Have you considered a standing workstation? I ask b/c I can switch between sitting and standing. It helps. Are you taking Ibuprofin during the day? It might help keep inflammation down which could help toward the end of the day.

The other thing that helped me was the PT exercises I learned. I found if I did them every night, over time, I was less sore and tight at the end of the day.

Also, do you have the issue waking up in the morning? I found I was very stiff in the morning until I got moving. So I drank lots of water so I would be forced to get up half-way through the night and walk around.

I hope these tips help. I would call your doctor and ask about what you are experiencing.
  • Jml94777 said:
    There's not too many people left on this site anymore. Additionally, in today's sue happy world and political correctness, many are only willing to offer a "consult your physician" answer.

Anyways, how are you back at work so soon? On what disc levels did they operate? What did they do on those levels?

To me, it sounds like you pushed it too far by sitting for so many hours so soon after surgery.
    The first 3 weeks after surgery are critical for the disc.

Are you icing the area regularly?

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008