Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post neurofibroma surgery issues

BrazenskiesBBrazenskies Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I had a schwannoma/neurofribroma removed from my spine last Monday. It was found as i lost feeling down my left arm.

As the tumour was on the nerve and spinal cord the surgery took 7 hours.

I realise that this will take weeks for the pain to go away but I've noticed a strange thing in the last couple of days. Sometimes when move suddenly or awkwardly I get sudden spasms down left arm arm the whole side if my body vibrates for a second or so, almost like I'm being electrified!

Does this sound like a common problem to expect?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• If your doctor/staff didn't mention possible side effects like that, I would call them. I had ACDF, so no experience in your kind of surgery.

I hope otherwise you are recovering ok from such a long surgery.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • was the schwannoma located? (What part of you spine)?

For those on board here, NF is a condition which frequently plagues its victims with tumors of the spine cord. There is a ton of research going on in NF, the genes that cause it have been identified, but how to prevent the effects of those bad genes is still a mystery. Good luck Brazenskies.
  • Hi Brazen,

As you are most likely aware, schwannoma's are very rare nerve sheath tumors and you and I are both lucky to have them found and successfully removed. You should also know that it may be hard to find info or anyone to talk to as there are only a few hundred worldwide. Mine was the size of a softbal in my sacrum growing into my pelvis, surgery was five hours and was cut in my abdomen from me belly button to my pelvic bone. Honestly, I experienced an array of symptoms from muscle spasms, twiches, burning, throbbing, pins in needles, naseae, chills, sweats and pain in and around my organs effected by the tumor. This all sounds normal. I was very lucky as doctors told me I had kidney stones for years and had and still have chronic back pain as well, if you experience the symptoms you had before your surgery, I would assume you are okay, however your doctor is only a phone call away. And in the event they are unreachable and are highly concerned to go to the ER, take all your medical files, tell the front they have to call your surgeron and you demand to be seen right away. My advise, keep your head up, get out of the house, even if its just outside your door, walk as much as possible. Movement is key to prevent blood clots and limit the scar tissue. I know it may be hard but you have to move to disrupt the pain cycle and prevent as much muscle atrophy as possible. PT is hard but you have to know there is light at the end of the end of the tunnel! Best of luck!