Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi!, from Nova Scotia

thedreamertthedreamer Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Sharon. I am 43 years old, married to a wonderful man for the last 22 years and have two teenage children.

I have had problems with my neck and back for over ten years now but only last year had my first MRI. Showed that I had "complex" bone spurs at the c4-c5, c5-c6 levels and ddd at my lumbar spine at L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 levels.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon last July who basically told me that my pain was here to stay and to take physio (again), see a chiropractor, lose weight, don't smoke (never have) and don;t take pain medication (HA!). My chiropractor says based on my MRI results that she can't adjust my spine for fear of doing more damage and she believes that I need surgery.

So, I have a neurosurgeon appointment next Monday (June 20th) to see what he has to say about my predicament. I am making a list of symptoms, when they started, treatments I have gone through and medications I am on. I DO take pain medications, just not anti inflammatory medication because they make me bleed.

Guess that is enough for today. Thanks for listening. Sharon

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am glad to hear you are not being adjusted at this time!! it sounds like you have a great chiro!!you are so wise to be coming up with a list of your symptoms and other such concerns,.. be sure and write down any important questions you want to ask him as well. they can get lost in the shuffle!! i wish you the best of luck with your appointment. please be sure and get more than one opinion if surgery is suggested.. this is really to your benefit!! stop by the forum anytime! check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your prediciment.. good luck! Jenny :)
  • It looks like you are on the right path. It often takes a process to find a doc that can and will help you but the key is not to give up! Good luck to you with your NS appt and keep us posted.
  • You definitely need that second opinion and I hope the neurosurgeon will be more empathetic with your pain and work out a plan to help you.

The second neurosurgeon that I saw was like the ortho you saw, and told me to learn to live with the pain without meds.

The third neurosurgeon I saw "gave me back my life" and whilst I may need further surgery at some time, I can do most of what I want.

Let us know how you go on the 20th.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008