Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

getting nervous about appointment on Monday

thedreamertthedreamer Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
i know i shouldn't be, but am getting very nervous about my Neurosurgeon appointment on june 20th. I know that i am in control of what happens to me, but, doctors, hospitals etc get me all nerved up. I am making a list of questions and my sister is going to meet me at the doctors office so i don;t have to go alone. My hubby is driving me but he won;t go in with me for some reason. thanks for listening. Sharon

• Howdy Sharon,

I'm glad you're not going in alone. I bring my hubby on the "important" appointments. That way he can add his questions, and too he seems to hear more of what my NS says than I do!

Sorry your hubby won't go in with you. I know some men, when they can't "fix" you, use the avoid technique in its place. It isn't that he doesn't care (I'm sure), he might just feel he can't help so why bother? Men are like that sometimes.

Try not to be nervous. Either way, you will at least know what your options are. Remember, he isn't the "end all" as we are free to get additional opinions. Please let us know how it goes. Gentle support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for the encouragement. yes, my husband does care, but as for going to appointments with me, it is out of his league he says. will let you know how i make out. Sharon :-)
  • Sharon,

You're very Welcome! Years ago I rented a room to a male friend of 20+ years. He was home when I collapsed in pain in my kitchen. He was great about calling 911 and too my husband, but he did not accompany me to the hospital! Hours later I had emergent surgery to remove a 3lb plus tumor. When I was put in my room, there was my hubby - my friend was nowhere to be found. I was in there for 3 days, never saw him.

When my hubby brought me home, I asked my friend why he couldn't even visit? The hospital was only 20 minutes away. His comment, "I hate hospitals, I just can't bring myself to go in them."

Well about six months later he fell asleep driving home, and slam dunked into a utility pole totally trashing his new Ranger. I got an urgent call at work by of all people the ambulance EMT! He tells me my friend refuses transport unless I am there! I beat feet to his location (oh 2 blocks from the house!!). He's messy but alive and non-critical. He wanted me to ride with him in the ambulance. I refused, but told him I would meet him at the hospital. After I get there (in uniform still) the ER staff take me right to his bed. His comment to me? "Thank you so much for coming, I hate hospitals and needed someone I trust with me!" I looked at him with a "I can't believe this" look, and told him "Yeah, I know how supportive you are when *your* friends are in the hospital." I walked out now knowing he wasn't going to die anytime soon!

Men can be such babies! Not all, but some! (G) Sorry for the long story, but I figured sharing my "anti-hospital" friend with you might take your mind off things for a little bit. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Having a list of questions is a really good thing. I always have a list when I see my surgeon (I have had 4 back surgeries). I also do lots of research on what will be happening to me. That seems to help.

My boyfriend doesn't like hospitals and was working when I went in for my latest surgery, which was scheduled mid day (and last) since they did not know how long it was going to take. He did finally get brave and came to visit. We have a new hospital that is quite nice and he was impressed so changed a little of his attitude about hospitals.

Good luck!!

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.