Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis (L4-L5) and scoliosis

JhoopJJhoop Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody, I'm new to this...

I need some advice...Has anyone got the above or had it treated?

I have been suffering with Spondylolisthesis and scoliosis for 7 years now and my doctors have been most unhelpful. I am due to see him in 8 days (after 2 years trying to meet him) to try to get him to understand how much I need help.

Does anyone rate the spinal fusion???

Please help.

All the best

Jenna (NEWBIE)

• I had grade 2 spondylolisthesis at L4/L5, but without scoliosis.

I had a decompression with fusion in March last year. Although it was a very long recovery (6 months off work), I would definately do it again. I had severe stenosis or the cord (cauda equina) and nerve roots which caused very bad sciatica. After my surgery the awful pain in my legs has gone and the lower back pain is also much better. I can walk and stand for longer than before, although I still start to get pain if I do it for very long. My standing time had gone down to about 3 to 5 minutes before I HAD to sit. Now, I can stand for 20-30 minutes.

I am still having some symptoms in my legs, but I think that is due to problems in my neck where a disc is compressing my cord.

I had put off surgery for over two years, after I reached the point where the pain was affecting my life. I had actually had pains and symptoms since being a teenager, but managed to get into my fifties before having surgery. My doctor was amazed that I had managed to have 3 pregnancies without being diagnosed. Apparantly spondylolisthesis is known to cause debilitating pain when the heavy pregnant stomach pulls the slip even further forward.

Are you young and possibly wanting to have a family in the future, or are you older?

I wish you well.
    Stay around here and you will meet lots of friendly and helpful people and learn all about your condition and the treatments for it. Have you looked in the conditions section?

• Hi!

Thanks so much for your help! It's just so difficult trying to decide what's best!

I have two horses that I show and they both have amazing potential, I just want to be able to get to the top with them, right now I can't train for much longer than half an hour. My horses are difficult to say the least so employing someone else to ride is not an option (although my sports therapist and osteopath say riding is good for core strength and flexing my spine without 'shock'). I am 22 and children are the last thing on my mind hehe. The doctors were useless at giving me any information, it's only the last few years that the pain has kicked me hard (severe back pain ALL OVER, loss of feeling in legs, collapsing and blackouts) and I researched into what is actually going on with my own spine!

I have two businesses to run so need to come to terms with who's going to run those for me while i'm out of action.

Sorry to ask but do you have any questions that you would ask the doctor in my situation? I'm seeing the spinal consultant next Thursday and I know I'll go blank, I can be very easily supressed by authorititive people, pathetic huh!

Thank you so much again for your help!

• I always do that now, having in the past forgotten what I wanted to ask.

There is a thread on here of questions to ask your surgeon.

I would start off asking exactly what your problem is and at what level. L4/L5 spondylolisthesis, but what levels is the scoliosis?

Ask what your prognosis is likely to be if you don't have surgery.
    What does he think about you riding.
    Is the problem and pain going to get worse.
    Does he think you will need surgery at some point.

I would also suggest that you get a second opinion (or even a third) if you possible can.

Good luck on Thursday. :D
    Please come back and let us know how you get on.

• Thank you! Yet again!!!

I will have a look at the list and write your suggestions down right now :)

I will let you know how it all goes on Thursday, fingers crossed I get some answers and an outlook on what to do next!

Take care Jelly!

Jen x

• http://www.spine-health.com/blog/pain/38-questions-ask-your-surgeon-having-back-surgery

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you :-)

I have appointment on Monday and Tuesday to try to find out what is the next step for me regarding my neck. :SS

• O my goodness, I hope all goes well!

I'll be thinking of you too! We'll have a news swap next week :)

All the best

Jen x
  • By all means write down questions any time you think of them and do whatever research you can do on the subjects. I have had 3 fusions for varying reasons (see below) and all have been successful. I would do it again if I had too altho the recoveries are sometimes difficult and long. The end result is much better than where I was before. And if you don't like the doctor find someone you like. So important to trust your doctor.

Please let us know how it all goes.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Jani,

Thanks very much for the support :)

Can't believe I didn't join the forum sooner, Jelly and yourself have been terribly helpful! You have both been through a lot!

I will report back on Thursday.

Take care

• Hello!

I have had multiple fusion surgeries thanks to degenerative disc disease. The pain at times had been horrible and still does affect my life (neck trouble now). However, each time after fusions, I felt much better and was able to function again. You're young and living in pain is no way to live.

Hope all goes well, and please keep us updated! :-)

• Hi charlie,

Thanks for you message :)

I will let you know what is said Thursday

Take care

• Hi all!!

Thanks again for your support for the consultation today...the verdict is... I am to have another MRI to asses the slippage in the last two years, a CT scan and the spinal fusion L3-L5

How is everyone else doing???

• Let us know what the MRI says and when surgery is scheduled.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi all!

Sorry for the silence, I had my op on 15th November 2011 and have been on the go ever since, Surgery was bloody brilliant! Results are incredible, soooo happy, life here I come!

Just a little question...can I start working out again yet? x-trainer, running, weights etc?!?

Need a little friendly advice.

with love x

• It is wonderful to read of someone who has had such a good outcome from surgery. It must be great for your surgeon too, to have such a great result. They must be disappointed when their patients still have pain and problems.

As for if you can start working out again. None of us can advise you there. We don't know exactly what your problem was before surgery, exactly what was done during surgery, and how things look now on an x-ray. I know that you probably feel fine and so you should be able to, but please check with your surgeon. He may want you to wait a bit longer before you put the fusion area under such stress.

He knows just what the inside of your spine is like and there is no-one better to advise you.

You still have a way to go in your recovery before you are completely fused, but things sound extremely promising.

Enjoy your successful surgery! <:P

• Thank you Jelly!!!!

I am absolutely thrilled!!! Only painful thing is the healing bone graft, it was taken from the back of my pelvis, ouchie! Leaning back on anything is hilarious to anyone watching, I react like I've been kicked up the arse!

How's everything going with you???

• I am trying to get my head around having another fusion!

My neck is playing up and, although my pain is far less than I had from my lumbar problems, I have compression on my spinal cord that they are worried about.

It is looking almost certain that I will need a 2 level fusion at some point, but the latest neurosurgeon that I saw said that the only reason to wait is to fit in with my social calendar.

I have another appointment with the first neurosurgeon that I saw's clinic in mid April, so I am going to wait and see what they say. They have been recommending that we wait and watch, seeing me every 6 months. I don't know quite what they are waiting for, but will ask them in April.

• Crickey! You poor thing!!!

Do let me know what happens won't you!