Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My skull gets "stuck" on C1

poppingneckppoppingneck Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi folks! Nice to find you here. Please, if someone has insight into my neck popping, I would appreciate it.

A few dozen times a day (between 20-60 times) I have to tilt my head back to release a "stuck" feeling where my C1 meets my skull. It makes a very loud pop. I have a dull headache back there on the left. I feel this pop echo in my left ear and mouth. It is not pleasant and I worry I am doing damage back there with the constant popping, but it is far too uncomfortable not to release it!

I saw a chiro for a few years, but its been a long time since I have visited one. An osteopath helped me with neck pain i the C1/cranial area before - it had to do with my digestion being out of whack, pulling unnaturally on the fascia encasing my colon.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar type of discomfort?

• Hi,
    I don't know what it could be, hope you find out soon what it is. Good Luck.
    I do know that often i get a popping sound in my neck when i move it, i was told that it was just normal for it to happen when you have neck problems, as i have c6-c7 bulge. I can only describe it as a pop then it is as if something has clicked into place. I was told it was nothing to worry about.

But for it to be happening that many times a day is unusual that i know off. If it were me for your own piece of mind i would go to your GP and see what they say. :)
  • I've been to a chiro and an osteopath. I saw the chiro for years on a regular basis, but it dwindled down to intermittent adjustments 4 years ago, to barely any in the past 2 years. Chiro helped me a lot at first with lower back pain and pain in my TMJ that used to keep me from sleeping at night.

The osteo told me that my digestive issues are causing the fascia that encases my colon to tug at my skeletal structure, pulling it out of alignment. These fascia reach all the way up to the tender spot at the base of the skull where it meets the spine. He adjusts the placement and motion of my colon and works on the tiny muscles in that spot at the back of my head - it really helps, but I do take good care to eat well most of the time, so I've got to think there has to be more to the story

I am very interested to know whether my constant popping is causing me any damage. Every time I pop, the release is terrific, but it never lasts very long and I am worried that I am doing harm to myself... but if I don't pop, it works into a deep, low, dense and painful headache.
  • Hi, I'm fairly new here too. I have the same "popping" issue that you have. My neck pops several times a day and it's uncomfortable to say the least. I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice, just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I will be getting an MRI as soon as my insurance approves it so hopefully will be getting some answers to my neck problems. Take care!
  • Poping is usualy from inflammation. Once you get rid of the inflammation poping is gone. Thats why deep massage always helps but sadly for many of us it comes right back unless you using something either meds or cream of some sort. I been using organic virgin coconut oil after i read it helps with inflammation. Its very cheap and it does help in case anyone wants to also try it. If its been long lasting dont hurt to get an mri just in case but other then that surgery is last thing you want. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • jgibson6jjgibson6 Posts: 1
    edited 01/23/2016 - 9:05 PM
    I've had popping in my neck forever and pain in my neck and upper back for years. and I've also been told from my doctor that I have osteoarthritis. I take medicine for inflammation and pain. surgery is the last option and if you start to have pain in your arms or other symptoms you need to then call the doctor because at that point in time they will probably want to do surgery on your neckthe time is the very last option is to have surgery on your neck

This is an old thread, the original poster has not been on the forum for more than 4 years

I suggest you Create a new thread

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator

This discussion has been closed.