Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I just want to whine

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm in so much pain that I honestly get a little crazy sometimes. My back and thigh pain never stops these days. Now this chest pain never goes away! My chest feels like someone is squeezing me and hurts all the time. (If it was my heart, I think it would have killed me already) I know I should go to the doctor but after all the run around my GP gave me last year I can't bring myself to go see him. After the way he made me feel I can't bring myself to see any doctors! I keep telling myself it's just from overwork and that things will settle down soon. I really hope so.

OK. Whine over. Now I'll get up from here and try to make myself useful....See, that's the first good sign--I can get up!! So I know I should be thankful, yet I complain. Sorry.

I hope that all of you are having a tolerable day.

• Go see your doc. Be upfront and let him know why you waited so long to schedule an appointment.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    dont wait longer to see your doctor.
    I know you do a lot of 'extra' physical things that could potentially cause more problems, but still, when you are in the pain you are talking about, its time to see the doc again.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • so sorry that you are feeling like 541T .hope that you feel better soon hun
    tony x
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    "C", Ron, and Tony I appreciate you all so much. I'm really in misery here and know I should go have it checked out. Why am I having so much trouble making myself go??? I've never been a huge fan of going to the doctor but these days it's worse.

I keep telling myself it'll pass. I've tried so hard this year to "tough it out" and feel like I'm failing miserably.

Thanks again all of you. I know that you all understand how tiresome it can be...

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    This has been going on WAY to long. I agree with "C" and Ron. Go see a doctor befor this develops into something worse.
    You know that I loath going to the Dr. But honestly, I would go if I had your symptoms. You've been waiting for this to "simmer down" for a year. And it's only getting worse! GO!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • It's definately time to take some action and get relief. I hope you will be kind to yourself and do so soon.
    AL S
  • It's time to see the doc. I had the same stuff happening and was really scared to see the doctor, but when it hurt to breathe I knew it was time. Turned out that a Medrol pack helped due to mechanical pain and I'm down to the normal pain again.

That may not be your story because you've been having lumbar issues, but to keep "going" like you tend to do and NOT see the doctor is very dangerous - you have to go. Make that appointment and let us know you did, ok?

Your friend,
    First I want to thank you all again. Jim, Al and Cathie thanks for your replies. Sorry I haven't already done so.

I finally broke down and went to an urgent care clinic today. It didn't go at all as I thought it would. I thought they'd give me something for muscles or something but instead they wanted to focus on my heart. They did an EKG which was okay but they sent me to the ER anyway to have a more complete cardiac workup. Had bloodwork, another EKG, chest xray and all were fine thankfully. Still they wanted to admit me for a stress test but I convinced them to let me make an appointment for an outpatient one. I kept telling all of them that I don't think it's my heart but they felt that we should rule that out first. They did put a nitroglycerin patch on me and it actually helped the pain for a while. Gave me a doozy headache too. Now I guess I'll have to go for the stress test cause my hubby and son will make me! I had one 7-8 yrs ago so I know what to expect.

Sorry this was so long. I just thought I'd let you all know. Thanks for being here for me. You're all great. Sorry I haven't been around very much lately. Just haven't felt good enough to mess with the computer.

Hope you're all as good as you can be.
  • You asked earlier why you were having so much trouble making yourself go, and I have to admit, the first thing that popped in my head was "De nile ain't just a river in Egypt, honey". lol, sorry, not to make light of this, but I just wanted to make you smile :)

I'm so glad that you did go. That's kind of interesting that the nitro helped with your pain. I hope that you make the appointment for the stress test ASAP. At the very least, it can rule out your heart and then you can move on to your spine. I've heard others with t-spine issues saying that it feels like their chests were being squeezed tightly.

Make the appointment soon and get it done!! Hope you get your answers quickly, keep us posted!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Get better, Hugz

AL S
  • Sorry to hear all what's happened and didn't see your post. Make sure if the chest pain happens again you have 2 baby aspirins(160mg) to chew or one regular aspirin to chew as bad as that one tastes, the baby aspirin tastes much better and no water needed to swallow as long as you're not allergic to aspirin.

Also you can take Tylenol for the headache caused by the nitroglycerin patch. I hope this doesn't happen again but you were right to go to the ER. Praying your tests go well. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hope your tests go well. Glad you went to the ER.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
    Thanks Al, Kelly, Charry and Jani.

I'm trying so hard to get this pain off my mind you know? I'm not scared really that it's my heart because for some reason I've just never thought it was. This morning I got up and decided that I'm not going to let it get to me today. I told myself that I'm going to get out and work in my yard, flowers, garden and such--thankfully it decided to rain because I don't think I'd have made it anyway. It just won't let up!! I feel like I'm under pressure! It's going to be a huge mess when I explode and I know I'll have to clean it up 8} . I feel like I have a band around my chest that keeps tightening you know? It feels like it starts more in my back and shoulder blades and radiates to the front and my right arm burns and has a deep ache.

Ah well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right??

Hope you all are having a good day.

• Sometimes its stress that can cause strange pains and feelings of wanting to explode.

Thinking of you.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Here's hoping you feel better soon! :-)

Thanks Jani and Charlie. I'm sure this will pass. I'm tired of myself complaining!

This discussion has been closed.