Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symptoms of L3 Herniation?

airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This question is posed to those who have had fusions of their lower spine. In January of this year I had a PLIF of L4-S1. Initially, I was pleased and confident that my surgery had been the appropriate decision. However, during the past 6 weeks I believe that my recovery has "plateau'd" and that I now am feeling a different type of back pain. This condition has coincided with 14 sessions of physical therapy, so it's not one of inactivity. In fact, prior to surgery I was an extremely active person (runner) and since the surgery I have walked at least one mile each day to remain mobile and to stimulate my motabilism.

Here's my question - what are the symptoms of mild herniation of L3 and above? I am now feeling discomfort higher in my spine and I am apprehensive that it may be the beginning of sympathetic herniation, but since I have never hernitated at that level I don't know what the symptoms are. I have herniated at the low levels and at the high levels, but not in between. Can anyone provide a description of the general symptoms of herniation at the L3 or L2 level?
advertisement

Comments

• Airborne,

My fusions presently are cervical, but I am herniated at the L2/3 and L3/4 (with stenosis at the 3/4 level). Hopefully my symptoms will be of help to you.

1. Upper lumbar pain, ramps up FAST when standing more than a few minutes.

2. If I continue to *try* and stand and bend forward, my back screams in pain (I think that is the stenosis getting worse).

3. The process of sitting or getting up hurts.

4. Of the above, many times the pain will wrap around my mid to outer buttocks, and then diagonally I get nerve pain across the front of my thighs to the inner knee.

5. I can't walk very far (mail box and back not good) due to left leg weakness, and then thigh pain.

6. Of recent, sitting is getting more uncomfortable.

7. If I arch my lower back, I get a little relief, but laying down with my upper body and legs elevated is my "least" pain area.

8. I also get 'buzzing' at about the same rate of when we shiver? <-- Best way I can describe it. If I am standing or walking when this happens, my legs get so weak I feel like they are going to fail. Last night my left leg did start to go - the refrigerator became my friend of support! (G)

I hope this is of help. Please let us know what you find out.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Not sure if what happened to me is similar, but I was thinking the same as you at around about 4-5 months out. I had a couple of months of physio, but not sure if that's related. When I became more active or tried to sit for longer than 30 minutes, I experienced really bad spasms in the thoracic area, something which hadn't been there before. I was really worried.

At about 7 months out, I started doing Chi Kung, which are stationary breathing/stretching exercises, and that's what helped me, so I think my problem was muscle spasm, but at the time, I did think I may have herniated a disc/s. It eventually eased and I was so relieved.

I'm nearly 2 years out and I still need to do these breathing/stretching exercises. They give me more relief than the exercises from the physio, and they strengthen the core muscles.

I hope you haven't herniated any discs. Are you due to see your neurosurgeon soon to check on whether you've fused? At my 6 months check, I had a CT scan, and everything was fine.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • This is a dermatome map

kind of a guideline to give a general idea but necessarily gospel
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008