Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

where to go from here

treettree Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
where do you go if scs trial fails.what is the alternative if scs trial fails.Ihave been disapointed with different things drs have tried for pain relief, Injections ect.I have no faith scs will help as tens unit did not but drs will not listento me as insurance insists scs unit is tried thanks for listening.

• as you have not had the SCS implanted yet ?? you can't rule it out ..can you ..i have a very good TENS but TENS is nothing compared to SCS so please dont think that the SCS will be a disappointment .many on here have a SCS .the main problem is the battery life and electrode placement .so even though i have not got one {not a suitable candidate} i would recommend one just make sure you get a consultant that is highly recommended .because that's half the job done .if you can get a good consultant anesthesiologist to implant you .hopefully you should have some good pain relief the SCS is not for everyone and it depends on your pain and the mechanics behind it what i mean is if you have nerve pain down your legs then maybe an SCS will help .but if you have mechanical back pain {arthritis/bony problems } then an SCS wont be any good .then you are looking at ALIF/PLIF etc that's anterior lumbar and posterior lumbar interbody fusion or ADR artificial disc replacement ...so my friend you have many more options and then you have a good selection of oral pain killers for your doctor to give you ..hang on in there Robert and don't give up my friend
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I had 2 scs trials in the last 7 years. They both failed. Next step up would be the morphine pain pump. Only when everything else fails. I am not sure what kind of surgery you had but just keep digging for answers is all you can do. But dont do the trial with the attitude that it wont work cause then its not worth it. Many here are happy with the scs i am just not 1 of them. If they want you to try it just try it. Its a very simple trial. Most people worry about trial but its actualy less painfull then most of the injections. If it dont help they just pull the leads out in 2 sec. Just make sure they do everything posible with surgery that they can before implanting any devise in you is all i can recomend. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • The SCS and TENS are not the same, and failure of one doesn't mean a thing to the success of the other.

TENS units stimulate the smaller, peripheral nerve endings and when I tried it, I wanted to crawl right out of my skin. I couldn't stand it! Not only did it fail to bring down my pain levels, it also created an additional sensation, on top of the pain, that was just intolerable.

My SCS was implanted 3 years ago and I'd rank my it among the most successful of people on this board, and I feel certain the folks who are still around that know me (I've been kind of quiet for a while) would agree with that assessment. For me, the difference in pain control and sensation is night and day. The SCS obliterates my pain, which was a total opposite reaction than I had to the TENS.

Just remember, nobody can force you onto the table for the trial without your informed consent. You can say no to the SCS trial, if you really feel strongly that it's the wrong choice. Make no mistake, it's a long hard fight to get around insurance companies, but it's possible and you have to do what you believe is best for you.

With all that said, if you're reluctant to try the SCS just based on your experience with the TENS, I would encourage you to keep an open mind and do some more research into the differences between TENS and SCS, and how the SCS works.
  • BionicWoman said:
    The SCS and TENS are not the same, and failure of one doesn't mean a thing to the success of the other.
    I agree with this totally. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people compare the two, even seasoned CP patients, but the two (TENs/SCS) are two completely different devices.

Now granted, I do not have the SCS, though my PMDr would like me to have one (insurance doesn't), however I do have a TENs unit, and it does not stimulate or exert pulsed electrical signals to the spinal cord to control my chronic pain the way that an SCS could, so there is really no comparison (IMO) in the technical or physical terms.

If your insurance covers it and your pain demands it, I think it would be a great opportunity to at least give the trial a chance. You may lose a lot of pain and that would be great!!

• I cannot tolerate TENS yet my SCS is my life saver! Two totally different critters and anyone who says they are similar, doesn't understand the technology.